Doc.... (off topic)

I'm still having a hell of a time with my brothers '92 Z-28

305 TPI. Last summer one of the injectors died, it shorted and this kept the whole engine from running. I replaced that injector (I know, I should have done them all). The engine starts and runs great but as soon as it starts to warm up it just stops, just like someone turned off the key. It will re-start and run but it just keeps quitting at random after that. Everything is fine till it starts to warm up. No codes. Fuel pressure is fine. I borrowed a big OBD scanner from a friend at the Chevy garage, it shows NOTHING bad, no errors, all the sensors are working well. I replaced the computer, no help, new ignition module, no help. 40k miles. Bone stock. I would swear its a short somewhere except it runs fine until it warms up. Its been stored a lot and only driven in good weather. Do you have any thoughts?
Reply to
CCred68046

Yank the CTS harness from the sensor and prevent it from "warming up"; fool the computer into thinking the coolant is -40*. If it doesn't crap out and keeps running (don't panic, idle will be around 2k), you know you have a mixture problem and it's some EFI component on the fritz. If it STILL craps out, you know some part is heating up and dying, and good luck finding it!

In the meantime, check all battery cables, power cables, ground cables. Look especially for corroded/dirty connections. As temperature increases, so does resistance in the wiring, so if you have a "barely" flowing cable somewhere as soon as she heats up current flow will be cut off to the point she dies.

HTH,

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

sounds like IGN module is crapping when it warms up

Reply to
TransSurgeon

hit 'send' too soon

just cause it's 'new' doesn't mean its good..........especially if you didn't clean the mounting area and use the white goo under it...........

Reply to
TransSurgeon

Thanks Doc and TransSurgeon...

Actually I have had 2 ignition modules now and I used the heat sink compound. "Good luck finding this shit" is right Doc... Never had these problems back in the 60's. Computers belong on a desk, not in cars. :)

This is annoying!!!!

Reply to
CCred68046

Just yank the CTS harness and see where that gets you. Let us know.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

OK Doc, Ill give it a shot tomorrow and let you know... it makes sense that something with temp is involved.

Reply to
CCred68046

Ask him if he's getting a good 17+lbs.vacume at the pcv,[or iis that pvc?]

Reply to
Brian Orion

======================= Dont forget about the pick-up coil.....

Reply to
Scott M

Just to be safe I stopped by the local Chevy dealer and picked up a new one today. The last one I bought was not OEM and I've heard and read a lot of complaints about them.

Reply to
CCred68046

As someone mentioned , check the pickup coil in the distributor. My 89 pickup w/305 was driving me crazy. It would act like your truck is. Sometimes it would start right back up & be fine for days. Other times it would quit and I would have to wait for between several minutes to around twenty minutes for it to start up and run again. The only common factor seemed to be that when I opened the hood up to let the engine cool down quicker it would start back up sooner. Prior to that I changed ignition module,coil, checked wiring, etc. Finally I changed the pickup coil in the distributor and it's been running fine ever since (about six months). Coincidentally, while it had the problem of cutting out, my speedometer would occasionally stop working once in a while for between a few minutes to maybe thirty minutes. But the speedometer quitting and the engine quitting never happened at the same times. But ever since changing the pickup coil, my speedometer has worked just fine. What the connection was I don't know. I hope you find the gremlin under your hood soon.

Reply to
David Tarantino