dragging noise

:?: I have a 1990 chevy pickup. (2x4) I keep hearing a sound that sounds like a chain dragging from the engine, i cant figure out what the hell is wrong w/ it. i have no idea what it could be, i?ve had a few people look @ it.. no idea. anyone got ideas?

Reply to
chevy999

Is you starter Bendix fully disengaging?

Reply to
Mike Copeland

"" wrote: > chevy999 wrote: > > :?: > > I have a 1990 chevy pickup. (2x4) I keep hearing a sound > that sounds > > like a chain dragging from the engine, i cant figure out > what the hell > > is wrong w/ it. i have no idea what it could be, i?ve had a > few people > > look @ it.. no idea. anyone got ideas? > > > > Is you starter Bendix fully disengaging?

i dont know. i hear the noise when i?m moving, stopped, or even in park sometimes. its pretty loud, its sorta like a jingly noise. its not constant, but it does it intermittently EVERY time i drive the truck.

Reply to
chevy999

The flywheel is always spinning when the engine is running. Pull the inspection plate on the bottom and see if you have any marks on the face of the ring gear. If it happens in "Park" you should be able to us a stethoscope to find the noise.

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Reply to
benick