drilling out jets

Can anybody tell what size drill bits I would need as a kit for opening up Carburetor jets. I am guessing they are numbered bits, so from what size to what size would I need to do this.Is there a kit you can buy?> A friend has ask me to get this info from the net. Thanks

Reply to
pedro

Depending on the carb, you may be able to buy jets. I used to do that for my old Quadra Jet. The jets would be stamped with a number for easy ID. IIRC, the jets were in .001" increments, so there would be some gaps/overlaps in a drill kit. Remember that if you drill, the cross sectional area of the hole increases by the square of the diameter. Doulble the diameter of the hole and the area is 4X as big. Also at least some jets have a metering rod through the hole, so increasing the "clearance" just slightly would result in a disproportionate increase.

If you buy the jets, you know they will match each other (if doing more than one) Drilling may result in jet to jet variation unless you have the proper tools/skill level.

If you insist on drilling them, I'd measure the jet and then buy the appropriate drill instead of buying a complete set of bits. Drill less than you think you want! You can always drill it larger, but not the other way around.

Reply to
Bill Kapaun

Just buy your jets, harder to make a mistake that way.

Most carb makers make "strip" kits. These kits have a variety of springs/rods/jets, depending on the makers.

Sam

Reply to
GaWd

Thanks Guys but my mechanic lives in Mexico and he can not run down to Pep Boys. I am going to have the drill bits brought down for him so I have to have some idea of where to start in smallest to largest to do the job, as I said I think they are what they call # drills 1,2,3 and so on, could be wrong, never needed to buy them before Gracias

Reply to
pedro

Reply to
C. E. White

Pedro, Summitracing will send to Mexico.

Sam

Reply to
GaWd

Thanks for the info, i was a welder for many years forgot about tip cleaners, good idea will pass it on to my mechanic.

Reply to
pedro

Why? When he has a perfectly good set to modify with a drill bit. I did this may times in the day of the carb. It works great if you don't get too aggressive.

Rita

Reply to
Rita A. Berkowitz