Driveline clunk- true or false

Was told by dealer yesterday that GM no longer "fixes" the driveline clunking by installing new nickle plated yoke. The "fix" they performed was just to grease it. I had a copy of a tsb (a few years old) that stated to replace w/nickle which i assume they no longer adhere to..Any thoughts/answers??

Reply to
gary

I'd say the normal fix is to grease it. But if you have TSB in hand I'd jump up & down until I was thrown out or they did it.

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

One thought is that they found that the nickel plated replacements were no more effective as a permanent solution then just greasing them regularly.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

I think the key is the type of grease used. Back in 85 GM had a recommended grease for this. Maybe a moly grease or one containing silicone.

Reply to
Battleax

Yeah, it's call "THICK GREASE" ;-)

Brian

recommended

Reply to
NoSpam

On 1 May 2004 06:39:27 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@bnl.gov (gary) said while waiving his hands wildly:

]Was told by dealer yesterday that GM no longer "fixes" the driveline ]clunking by installing new nickle plated yoke. The "fix" they ]performed was just to grease it. I had a copy of a tsb (a few years ]old) that stated to replace w/nickle which i assume they no longer ]adhere to..Any thoughts/answers??

They use a special high temp, high pressure grease. GM part number is 1#12345879 gr. 8.800

Worked for me.

Reply to
Phillip

Just hope they try to physically remove you too! Then they'll install allot for free... hehe. No reason not to try.

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ