DRL "daylight running lights"

Hi all,

Is there a way to turn off the DRL on a 1996 Chevy Blazer 2WD 4.3? They go off if the slightest pressure is use on the emergency brake.

Thanks Hank

Reply to
Hank

I know one repo man that uses that parking brake "trick". It seems like it would be easy to short or open the switch (whichever is required)on the parking brake to make it permanent. Or, to be real slick, you could mount a switch on the dash, like the interior light over ride. I have grown to like my DRL's. Here, in NC, we have a law requiring use of headlights in any weather that requires the use of windshield wipers. With the DRL I don't have to worry about forgetting to turn my headlights on when it's raining. Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

And why is that Mike? You realize that with only the DRLs on people STILL can't see you from behind, right? The rear lights are still off when only the DRLs are on. FWIW, I have a truck that's NOT equipped with DRLs, I make it a habit of hitting the headlight switch as I'm on my way to the parking brake release, since on my truck turning the headlights on is a push of a button, not a pull...

Reply to
Mike Levy

Because that's what the law requires. I will use common sense to determine if I need the rear lights on. I.E. if I am having trouble seeing the person in front of me then I will turn them on.

You realize that with only the DRLs on people

See above. The rear lights are still off

WOW! My truck works the same way!

FWIW, I have a truck that's NOT equipped

Mine is rotating switch, so what? I guess you needed to prove your superior habits. Enjoy.

Reply to
Mike Copeland

There may be a dedicated fuse you can pull out.

Reply to
David Algie

No. Other than the parking brake trick, the only option is to pull the fuse. It should be labelled "DRL". Note that doing this will still leave the little green DRL icon lit up on the dash, even though the lights themselves won't be lit.

HMc

Reply to
Howard McCollister

Yeah, NYS is the same way, you need your HEADLIGHTS on when using wipers, not sure how DRLs count, even when they use the headlight bulbs. Part of the reasoning for the law I imagine was so the TAILLIGHTS are on, to make it easier for vehicles behind you to see you.

I was asking why you think you don't have to worry about turning your headlights on in the rain, not why it has to be done...

I guess it's kinda to say that I don't see WHY some people want to turn their DRLs off, or disable them. I don't see an annoyance unless the headlights are poorly aimed (there's a can of worms we won't get into)...

Reply to
Mike Levy

Thanks... I hope I did not open a wound here with the DRL issue.

Hank

Reply to
Hank

Go figure...I was going to hook up a relay to turn my lights on when the key is on the "run" position so people wont pull out in front of me or pass and kill me from a head-on. . This guy wants to kill them for no reason? Hmmmmm. the 96 blazer runs the high and low in series for the DRLs if I remember right. Pulls very little power. Why would you want to kill them?

Reply to
Scott M

I don't like them....

thanks again for the info..

Hank

Reply to
Hank

Religion, politics, medicine safety, and lots of other topics (including DRL's) elicit debate, resentment, and just down-right meanness. Here is an interesting site (NMA, which I support) you might find amusing.

Hank

Reply to
Hank

Suppose you don't want to shine them into your neighbor's window when you are backing out of your driveway at 0430 to go to work? Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Reply to
sidewinder

It was mainly the prick sp that had the problem, I haven't heard on them say anything about it in the last 2 yrs. though

Reply to
bubba in italy

Reply to
George

On my 99 Astro you turn them off with the parking brake so while running no choice. On my 00 S10 you turn them off and the automatic headlamps with four quick strokes of the dome light button. I'm thinking of trading the 99 for something newer just to make sure it works the same way. Any number of times I'm setting at the lights after dark and a guy yells no taillights.

Jim

Reply to
BitsNotBytes