dumb question about brake lines

i happened upon a posting in another NG concerning brake lines. the upshot was that we all need go out and replace our factory installed rubber brake lines with stainless steel braided teflon lined hoses because they do not flex with application of pressure in high temps, repeated high performance stops, etc. the logic seemed to me to go along the lines of "them race car guys use 'em, we need 'em".

Wait a minute. Given that most vehicles now have anti-lock brakes and we can all get them to work, isn't this kind of ridiculous? I'm not disputing whether or not this kind of a line is more rigid, but the last brake hose i replaced was on a 28 year old truck.

Reply to
Sid Sawyer

They are referring to the rubber flex hoses that run between the steel lines and the calipers + rear brake junction. The factory lines are triple-layered and quite rigid, but the stainless braided lines are more rigid. The braided lines do give the pedal a better, stiffer "feel" but as far as brake performance is concerned the improvements aren't even noticeable for a street-driven vehicle.

Just another way to to get folks to blow money on something they probably don't need. If you were running circle track or something like that then hell yeah they're worth the moolah, but on the street, nah.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

It's interesting, I was just browsing through some bulletins and noticed one about aftermarket steel braided brake lines that have been installed on some vehicles, notably the Corvette. Apparently, it causes problems with the wheel speed sensor wiring harnesses....false readings, ABS codes etc. GM notes that these problems will not be covered under warranty if the aftermarket brake lines are in place.

Just a "for your information" type of thing.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Imagine that.... chevy not allowing their race cars to be treated as such. I know you spoke of corvetts but what about a lifted silverado? I have never seen extended brake lines that were not braided... Or does lifting your truck absolve your warranty as well?

GMC Gremlin Someone who has always thought that car companies are weenies about people being enthusastic about their cars. Take Harly's point of view, damn it!

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

I would guess so. The car companies aren't being "weenies" about it, they are being realistic. Why should they pay for problems that stem from using non-factory items that interfere with the proper working of their original factory systems. Note that they aren't saying you "can't" use the parts, just that they won't cover problems that appear due to the use of the parts. That seems fair.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Superlift makes non-braided extended flex hoses.

I'd imagine it would.

Reply to
SBlackfoot

It is a stupid and needless fad. Resist and the urge will go away.

-- Best Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl
1: Design parts where stuff can "change" crap changes. 2: Offer "GM" braided lines perhaps? 3: Their still weenies.

GMC Greml>

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

"They're" too.....