E-Brake Nightmare

Hi All,

Don't get to the group much anymore, but am looking for some opinions/advice.

'95 half-ton, ext. cab, short box, 5.7. 144.5" wheelbase, mfg. date

6/95.

The entire e-brake system needed to be replaced. It worked perfectly for 10 years, but alas, she works no more.

I am having a B-R-U-T-A-L time finding the right cables. I had to use a Napa cable on the front, and Advace-Auto Cables on the rear, which were Raybestos. They are not a readily stocked item at the dealer.

I also had to install a new adjuster/equalizer, BUT, it appears as if the cables are way to long. There's way too much slack in the system.

Does anyone know if this model year used left overs from '94, or if there was something wierd about the cable system?

Some say the front cable is the same for all the wheelbase measurements, others say differently.

The rears appear to be the same size, EXCEPT the spring part on the brake end is way longer.

I can't ascertain for sure if the new front is the same as the old, as it busted off all over the road, and I don't have it, so I can't measure, etc.

Now even worse, I have no RPO code sticker in my glovebox, so I can't even tell which braking system I have.

Before I go my dealer and beg for mercy, anybody have any ideas?

Thanks Rick

Reply to
Rick

Order yourself an LMC catalog.

I am amazed at the parts they carry for our trucks.

Reply to
Lew Pratt

Last I checked the most recent parts they carried was for

87'...................he won't find anything in there for a 95.'

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

They go up through '98 now.

Jack

Reply to
Jack Goff

LMC is great! That's where I got the Adjuster from. They are excellent to deal with. Their prices on the brake cables were a bit steep, and, I figured I could get them local.. Go figure.

Went to the dealer and they took the VIN and are going to do some digging. They didn't show anything out of the ordinary either. One would think that these are pretty common...

Thanks for all the replies. Rick

Reply to
Rick

No shit?! That's awesome...................gunna order me a catalogue right now..................

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"