E-mail from Microsoft

There are a lot of these going around now with various headings trying to make it appear as if they came from Microsoft. Microsoft never sends unsolicited software updates by email! Delete them without opening. Billh

Reply to
billh

I received an e-mail today from Microsoft. The subject is "Newest Internet Security Upgrade" It has an attachment that Outlook Express removed as it was/is an executable called "installation 232.exe" The e-mail certainly looks authentic, so I checked The Microsoft site and lo and behold there is a section on how to tell if an e-mail is legitimate. There is an actual example of a hoax and shocking enough it looks just like the email I received....

So beware there seems to be something new out there...

Microsoft will never email you an update

Reply to
Roger Jensen

Trust Me, Its not NEW. In fact I have been reading about it for months. Some of us are getting sick of reading all about it in every newsgroup, all the time. so just protect yourself. I saw some in my box about 4 months ago, and figured it out, now i never see it anymore.

Reply to
Buzz Lightyear

i have been hit by about 40 of this type in the last week. my antivirus has flagged everyone of them as containing a virus.

Reply to
Slammer

The horse is dead............ Long live the horse........

old news is better than no news, but no news can be good news, if the good news is no news

Scrib Abell ~~feels sorry fer duh dead horse that's being so cruelly whooped.......but more sorry fer duh fools opening them emails~~

Reply to
Scribb Abell

over 3000 of them the last week

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

I've been getting 30-40 of these a day for the last 3 weeks.

Reply to
Dante M. Catoni

SPAM - either filter out or just delete without opening. Some contain viruses.

Regards,

Marv

Dante M. Cat> I've been getting 30-40 of these a day for the last 3 weeks.

Reply to
Marv Soloff

"D" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Pay attention to any mail from eBay as well. There's a few versions of spoofs going around.

One even takes you to a genuine looking secure eBay page, and then asks you to put information into a popup page. Bad gimshe.

Reply to
Rager

D scribed in :

it is the product of the SWEN virus, trying to send it self to you and all the rest of us.

Please, will everyone wake up and ditch Outlook already? Outlook is the target of allthese things, just about nothing else is vulnerable. IF we allpull together and stop using Outlook, the virii and worms will go away. Same with Spam, never reply, never buy, it will go.

swarf, steam and wind

-- David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\

\ / ASCII Ribbon campaign against HTML E-Mail > - - - - - - -> XIf you receive email saying "Send this to everyone you know," / \ PLEASE pretend you don't know me.

Reply to
DejaVU

Marv Soloff scribed in :

NOT SPAM, VIRUS

Microsoft is many things, but they are not stupid enough to send spam by email

removed as it

Reply to
DejaVU

Microsoft has nothing to do with these messages - other than making and selling some pretty bad software.

Regards,

Marv

DejaVU wrote:

Reply to
Marv Soloff

WTH Look at that post. "I received an e-mail from Microsoft today." She still believes it!¿ People must live under rocks or something not to be aware of this stuff, which has been going on for years. Gullible people just invite more scams, spams, and hackers. I guess the old pigeon drop still works too so I should not be surprised.

Reply to
WasteNotWantNot

forward them all to snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.com

Reply to
Michael Sutton

Oh, purleese. If we all ditched Outlook/Outlook Express and used 'something else', then the virus writers will just target the 'something else'. If you think that all the virus writers want to do is to bug Microsoft, I think you're very much mistaken.

Mike

Reply to
mb

That's a crock! Spam, and virus' and worms will be around no matter what you email client is! Get a life Gumby and stop spamming this newsgroup with your idiotic, uninformed ravings!!

Reply to
Perry Murlless

I use outlook express / internet explorer and nothing else.

I dont get these virus's sent to me.

It has way more to do with your personal internet habits, and way less to do with what software you use.

Reply to
Buzz Lightyear

here too:

but if Netscape was the browser of choice for the majority, the viruses would be targetting Netscape

same for Eudora, Agent or any other

the viruses are targetted at Outlook cause its the most widely used

what's so hard to understand about that, folks ?

vulnerable.

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Well..first of all..most of the Something Elses, dont have the vulnerabilities of OE..but thats just fine with me. Id rather have folks like you hanging your asses out as a fine target, keeping the script kiddies occupied, than trying to get through the few if any vulnerabilities in real Something Elses.

Having you folks out there as a nice big fat target means they arent going to be going after the rest of us.

"this is the reason aircraft carriers are known as bomb magnets"

Gunner

"Anyone who cannot cope with firearms is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not make messes in the house." With appologies to RAH..

Reply to
Gunner