E85 fuel

Well doesn't seem anybody knows much about using E85 fuel in a 99 Chevy Silverado. E85 is 15% gas and 85% alcohol. I understand the principles of operation. What I don't understand is why it wouldn't be good to use it in my truck. Somebody please give me a mechanics reason why I can't do this and what modifications I would have to perform to make this work. Thanks

Reply to
Doug

Hi Doug,

Searching Google with 'E85 fuel' returns 149,000 hits for you to go through. Lots of people know about this fuel it seems.

Reply to
Sounds like a Porsche

What are the differences in an FFV compared to a regular gasoline-only model? Are different parts used? There is only one major additional part that is included on an FFV, the fuel sensor that detects the ethanol/gasoline ratio. A number of other parts on the FFV's fuel delivery system are modified so that they are ethanol compatible. The fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel injectors, computer system, anti-siphon device, and dashboard gauges have been modified slightly. Alcohols are corrosive. Therefore, any part that comes in contact with the fuel has been upgraded to be tolerant to alcohol. Normally, these parts include a stainless steel fuel tank and Teflon lined fuel hoses.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge