Egr code(again) and Knock sensor testing.

1990 chev 1/2 350 tbi. Getting code 24, 32, and 43. Sometimes my speedo sticks and a bang on the dash and the thing pops back up. Just done the egr ports and the knocking is gone but still sets a 32 code. Does the egr only open and shut when the vehicle is in motion??, hence the possibility the speed sensor is shot? . How would I check the knock sensor re code 43, I have a multimeter.Is there a way to check the speed sensor, does it run the speedo?. Can I put it on stands and run the vehicle while looking for a voltage at the vss with the wires off???Don't mean to be a pain in the butt, I like doing the work myself!!

Thanks guys, Paul

Reply to
P. Clement

Inline..........

Yes, only at crusing speeds when throttle is steady. If you haven't replaced the EGR valve, do so now as it's likely shot. If the ports are clean, it's either the valve or the solenoid, and I've never seen a solenoid go bad before a valve.

Yeah, code 24 is VSS. Probably shot.

Remove it and take it to the nearest Autozone for a free test. be CAREFUL when you yank it and you're gunna get a coolant bath; make sure the engine is COLD COLD COLD. Also, trave the single wire from the KS up between the manifold and block. They sometimes will make contact with the exhaust and weld themselves to it!

Yep, that's the test. Voltage changes with velocity.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"