EGR Valve on a 93 silverado

I was driving down the highway yesterday with the cruise on and my engine light came on. This normally happens about once a month or so and stays on for a minute or so and then goes back off again. Everything seems and sounds fine so I don't worry about it.

Well yesterday, the light came on and stayed on longer than usual and when coming off the highway and downshifting ( automatic ) it would 'jerk' on me as it did so and rev high for a second or 2 before actually switching the gears. Starting from a stop and heading down a local road it did the same thing as I was cycliung through the gears..... revved high and jerked before switching gears.

I brought it to the garage and when he went in to check the system out and turned the truck on, the engine light was off. I explained the situation to himand he mentioned that it was the EGR valve that was more than likely causing the problem.

He suggested in popping off the hose and plugging it with a bolt if it happens again. My question is this...

Would doing so cause any other problems with the truck? mostly concerned about mileage..

1993 silverado sportside 350 V8 automatic

thanx

Mike

----------------------------------------------------- users trucks from this group listed below

Michael McNeil

'he' is an idiot; plugging the EGR hose is a stupid move without really knowing what it is

plus, it is 'emissions tampering' to disable the EGR valve, and guess who gets gigged if you happen upon a random emissions testing location ? not 'him'

you have all the classic symptoms of a 'P-1870' code

usually shows up after a longer highway-speed trip

the clutch in the torque converter is slipping, due to valve body wear, and the ECM is jacking up pressures to compensate, hence the late and hard shifts

next time the CE light comes on, find a place to scan it WITHOUT shutting it off

I'd bet money the P-1870 is stored

light came on. This

and then goes back off

coming off the highway

high for a second or 2

down a local road it did the

before switching gears.

turned the truck on, the

that it was the EGR valve

happens again. My question

about mileage..

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Like the surgeon said, your mechanic is an idiot. EGR valve problems cause driveability issues like poor/rough idle, stalling and the like. It in no way will cause hard shifts or affect the transmission in any way. Sounds like a transmission problem.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

thanx guys for the info. therre's a garage down the road from where I work that I can take it to to get it diagnosed without costing me a fortune.

for the record he isn't my mechanic... just a garage that was near by when the light came on.

Michael McNeil cleverly wrote:

came on. This

then goes back off

coming off the highway