Electric door locks vs keyless remote door locks...Silverado

I just bought a 2009 Chevy Silverado. It has electric door locks, but doesn't have keyless remote door locks. Can I just buy the fob and program it, or do I have to add some sort of receiver?

Thanks,

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

You may require a different BCM than the one the vehicle currently has. This question is best directed to the GM Tech service dept.

Reply to
Augustus

Go to your dealer. There is a combo of cycling the key on and off between opening the door. The locks will lock and unlock. If they don't, it will not work. I'd bet key fobs will work though.

If you search the internet, you can find out how to set them, so you could try it yourself.

In fact, you might be able to search this forum for the answer to how to set it up.

Reply to
Bill

I just searched this forum for Fobs, and found 42 hits.

Reply to
Bill

If it didn't come with it you would need to have the BCM coding altered and add the remote receiver module to make them remote operated. Best bet is to ask the dealer about it, they MAY do it for a reasonable price to make you happy.

Reply to
Steve W.

First, what is a BCM?

Second, since OnStar is able to unlock my locks, why wouldn't just a fob work?

Third, I contacted the dealer and they are willing to have a third party install an after-market keyless remote at their costs. I have to hand it to GM, they are trying. I didn't even bitch, I just questioned the General Manager, damn he is a nice guy. I am just not sure I want a after-market put in.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

Did you just buy the 2009 from a dealer? If so, they should give you two key fobs.

Reply to
Bill

Yes, I bought it from a dealer, brand new with 4 miles on it. The service department says, according to the VIN #, I have keyless entry, but according to the General Manager ( the guy that orders the vehicles) says he didn't order keyless locks and the service department is confused.

So, who do I believe? The owners manual isn't much help because they talk in generalities. They talk of Programing of the remote, but mine don't have the electronic features of which they speak about in the book. So, I am guessing the General Manager is correct in what he is saying.

To make me happy, he offered to have another private company install remote locks, but I am not sure I want "after market" items in my electrical system.

It is not the type of thing I want to bitch about. I am just curious as to my options.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

Open the glove box. You will find a tag with the options that your truck has on it. It will tell you if it has keyless remote locks. Look for code 5B5, That is the option group (power locks, windows and mirrors) that includes the keyless option on the extended and standard cabs, On the crew cab model the remote keyless system is standard equipment.

As for aftermarket, I wouldn't myself. WAY to easy to screw up many of the current electronics in a vehicle.

As for the OnStar unlock, that is an integrated function of the Body Control Module (BCM) It has NOTHING to do with remote door locks. They use the OnStar signal to trigger the same relay that you trigger with the lock control switch.

Reply to
Steve W.

To make me happy, he offered to have another private company install remote locks, but I am not sure I want "after market" items in my electrical system.

Most alarm companies butcher the wire harness. They use cheap connectors to "tap" into existing wiring. My experience with them is not good. You would be wise to find a different solution.

I would go to the dealer. Borrow a FOB from a different truck and see if you can go through the programming instructions and get it to work.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

A short phone call to the dealer will give you the answer...why waste time here?

Reply to
Curmudgeon

| > Thanks, | >

| > Hank | A short phone call to the dealer will give you the answer...why waste | time here?

Just because the truck has electric locks doesn't not signify that it has remote entry.

For a remote to work, a receiver must be installed in the vehicle.

Copy down your V.I.N. and call your favorite dealer - call the parts department. Ask the parts person to decode your V.I.N. to see if you do or do not have the remote entry option. If the truck is equipped with the receiver, it's just a matter of purchasing a remote and programming it to the vehicle.

Most trucks have an easy programming procedure that is outlined in the user's manual.

Good Luck!

Reply to
Steve

Apparently actual conversations with the dealer did not elicit a good answer for him.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I'll try to explain this better. The first thing I did was call the dealers service department. They ran the VIN and said I have keyless entry. I then spoke with the General manager about getting the fobs to operate it. The General Manager said it DID NOT have keyless entry and he knows it doesn't because he was the one who ordered this truck.

After reading the owners manual on "how to program the keyless entry", I couldn't find the DIC (Drivers Information Console (yes, that's what they call it)) that the book relates to on my truck. Nor could I find how to program the fob without a DIC. Sounds funny huh?

Anyway, I found the fobs on eBay for $20 + shipping. I'll probably buy one and check it out. If it don't work, I will resale it.

It just confuses me that OnStar can open my doors without a key, but I can't. You would think that if a vehicle has OnStar, it would have the necessary equipment to add a Fob.

Thanks to ALL

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

Reply to
Steve W.

The DIC is not necessary to program fobs. It just makes it easier to enter programming mode if so equipped. A series of actions involving the ignition key and the power doorlock button puts the BCM in to programming mode and then the fobs can be programmed. This only works if the the BCM has an RF unit and is capable of programming. A vehicle ordered without keyless entry will not have this BCM. As was pointed out by another poster, check you glove box for the RPO code applicable.

Reply to
Augustus

I shouldn't admit this, but when I first read your reply to look in the glove box for the 5B5 code, I thought you meant look thru all the paperwork. After Agustus's reply, it hit me like a ton of bricks to look for a tag in the glove compartment.

After looking at the tag, it lists many codes. It DOES list a 5B5 code. So, I ordered a fob online. We'll see how that works.

Thanks to all for helping me sort this shit out. I am always amazed at the knowledge and info found on here. Most can't be found locally. You guys are GREAT!

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

The commercials have an Onstar operator unlocking a truck for a guy who left his keys in. Or some kind of car. There has to be a link, somehow.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes, OnStar can operate the locks, but a key-less recevier may or may not. It can depend on the software in the Body Control Module. Also, the BCM may not have a receiver (wire-less) for the keyfob. It may be a totally different BCM / receiver system for wire-less locks, or not. The dealer (or if you don't trust YOUR dealer, ask another can find out. You will need the VIN and if you have it the build sheet. Just go ask.

YES, ONSTAR can operate the locks, thet there may not be "keyless" entry on that particular vehicle. ONSTAR would be wired directly in to the locks, or, the buss that controls them. It wouldn't need to be "wireless" or "keyless'.

Reply to
Miller

Here's the latest and probably the final.

I purchased a fob from online. I tookit to the dealer to see if they could program it since my truck don't have the Driver Information Console ( DIC for short). The service manager originally checked my VIN and stated that it DID have keyless remote. But, since then she investigated and found out that it didn't because of the Package that included the doorlocks, powerwindows and mirrors.

Anyway, she had a service tech try to program it. He stated he was unable to access the area which needed to be accessed. So, I guess the only way for me to get keyless remote is to have it installed by an aftermarket business. This won't be done because I don't want them to cut into the original factory wiring.

The General Manager said he would pay for the aftermarket if I wanted it. I appreciated his attempt to please me. It is not that big a deal for me to use a key, so I will keep it like it is.

After I had purchased the truck and the salesman was putting on my tags and filling the tank, the General manager came outside and we talked a little (before the keyless entry dilema), I told him I liked the looks of the plastic chorme wheel covers better than the Alloy, even tho they cost much less. He then offered me a complete set of brand new tires and chrome rims for free. He had taken them off another truck because the buyer didn't want them. Somehow he worked it into the deal. ya gotta like that!

So...........Thanks to all for your help.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank