Electric problem, any ideas?

Friday night my 90 GMC truck was attacked. Someone pryed the door handle out to get in (get this, the jerk didnt notice the rear slider was wide OPEN). He then proceeded to tear out the glove box, then the center vent console to steal an old radio that didnt even light up. They literally ripped it all out, didnt cut any wires, I found radio parts everywhere. What a jackass attack. I repaired all the loose wiring I could see but I still dont have a horn, brake lights or turn signals. Before I go tearing into it, does anyone know of anything that could affect these three items? All the fuses are good. I'm sure it was caused by something that got jerked out with the radio wiring, either a wire was pulled out or something I'm missing got shorted (relay maybe?). Any ideas?

Reply to
CCred68046

Hi!

Never ceases to amaze me...the stupid things that people do...

Check your relays and see if any were 'grabbed' and pulled out by a wire leaving in a hurry. This might get you the turn signals and horn back.

As for the brake lights and such, I'd trace out each and every wire for breaks. There has to be broken wire somewhere. Get a test light and see where you have power and where you don't. This might help you piece the mess of wires back into an electrical system once again.

I don't know if the wiring diagrams in the Haynes or Chiltons books are any better than the other information, but you may need one of those...or a truck in a junkyard with a complete wiring system as a point of reference.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Stuff like that always makes me wish you could take the information out of their face....

But once their in, they have to take SOMETHING.... at least they didn't take the truck I guess.

Wiring is always a mess, do like he said and get getting to it. Mayhaps get theft insurance? I'd move to a place where the criminals are smarter as well.

Reply to
KJ

Stuff like this supports my notion that there in fact SHOULD be execution without trial.

I had this same problem a long time ago. I just followed all the wires best I could, then replaced the harness with one from the junkyard.

Got comprehensive on your truck? The insurance company would cover it.

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
luckystrike39

Thanks Doc, I had my eye on that harness and it looked fine. I let the insurance company tow it to the dealer for an estimate. So far its over $800 and that does not include the electrical problem or replacing the radio!!!! I'm gonna sit back and have another beer.

Reply to
CCred68046