engine help needed

Hi, I put a crate 350 in my s10 and it ran fine until the waterpump belt broke and I didn't see the temperature guage go up. The result was what I thought was a blown head gasket, lots of water in the oil. I replaced the head gaskets and it ran fine for an hour or so and once again there was water in the oil. I pulled the heads and check the gaskets, no sign of damage to the gaskets, nothing blown through. I pulled the valves out of the heads and I can't see any cracks anywhere. Cylinders 5 and 7 seem darker, there was crap on the underneath side of the intake valves but that is all I can see. I'm thinking the heads are cracked somewhere where I can't see them. What do you think? Should I pay to have these heads cleaned and magnafluxed or should I save the money and just get some new heads? Has anyone run across this before? Any help would be appreciated. Rick

Reply to
Rhbuxton

Have the heads magnafluxed. If they check out ok the next step is the block itself.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Thanks for the info Doc. I will call around tomorrow to see who will magnaflux the heads. Have you ever seen a block crack? If so where do they crack? Rick

Reply to
Rhbuxton

if you cant find a machine shop, ,you could go online and find the kit to do it yourself. there is one out there that uses a UV dye and a blacklight. Never used it personaly (yet) but know it is out there for the DIY guy. Here is a link for the first one I found with a quick google.

Eightupman

Yes, I've seen a few cracked blocks before. They usually crack in the vicinity of the cylinder. Sometimes between cylinders, sometimes between the water jacket and the cylinder.......................

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Also check the heads and block deck for straightness. Overheated engines do warp heads and block decks sometimes.

Reply to
Jay