Engine ID Please

Hi,

I recently purchased a '72 Chevy C10 with a 350 that is not the original engine. Looks like I need to buy at least an alternator, and probably a steering pump for it, but I have no idea what year the motor is. Hope you guys can help. Here's the id, stamped into the top of the block, just forward of the cyclinder head:

16K433475 V04060MJ

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
frank

You'll need an alternator and power steering pump that will work with the year of the truck not the motor. Hopefully you have brackets that work for those parts.

Reply to
NoSpam

Those aren't the casting numbers for the block. Those may be rebuilder codes or some other ID. Try this page

Then you can decode the numbers here
The block casting numbers are behind the driver side cylinder head. They are on the top, and you can get a look at them with a flashlight. You might get a more complete idea of what exactly you have if you get the head casting numbers, too.

The engine may have the alternator and Power Steering pump brackets either from the 72 or the donor vehicle. MOST, but not all people, leave the accessories on the vehicle and just replace the motor. Personally, it usually depends on the condition of those accessories when I swap one out, pulley compatibility, and belt design. Take the old alternator/PS pump with you when you buy the parts to make sure you're getting the right ones. Be careful with the pump. Many look identical with different threads on the hose connection.

Reply to
John Alt