Ever install a diesel into an Astro

Has anyone here ever installed a diesel engine into an Astro van? I love Astros but hate their mpg. Thank you.

Reply to
Les Lee

Neither the current 6.6L Duramax, the 6.5L turbo diesel, nor the 6.2 naturally aspirated diesel will fit in the Astro - juat not enough room. You just won't fit an 8-cylinder diesel into that small of an engine bay, espeically the 6.5L with the turbocharger hanging off the passenger's side of the motor. You'd have to go as far back as the Chevy Luv (the small truck before the S10) which was built by Isuzu and offered a 4-cylinder Isuzu diesel as an option. Can't say as you'd get much better mileage because the Astro is much heavier than the old Luv was, so you'd have a smaller motor working harder. And frankly the work you'd have to put in to fitting another company's diesel into it would far exceed the value of your van. Astro's weren't built for great mileage, what with having the aerodynamics of a brick and all, so maybe you should be looking into tuning up your current motor and trying to squeeze a few extra MPG out that way.

I would love to have GM put out a 5- or 6-cylinder diesel as an option for their mid-sized pick-up's/SUV's and half-ton trucks. I think it would be a great seller.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

Reply to
KENG

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 17:35:07 GMT, "Les Lee" wrote something wonderfully witty:

What is wrong with their MPG? Not bad for a rock with wheels.

Reply to
ZombyWoof