Express Cargo Van 1500 w/ V6

Buying a new van soon and am wondering if there is a consensus on the reliability/ durability of the 4.3L V6?

Reply to
D F Bonnett

Great motor in a midsize (Blazer, Astro), not enough oomph for a full-size. Very reliable, very durable, just not enough oomph for a FS truck/van loaded with cargo.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Hi!

I think you'll find it's a very good motor. My dad's truck (a 1994 C1500) has the 4.3 in it and just passed the 100,000 mile mark not all that long ago. It's had only routine maintenance done to it--fluids changed and the like, and it runs like a charm. The 4.3 is a cut down in size by two cylinders 350.

I got one in my '03 S-10 and have also been very pleased. Hopefully it will be just as reliable and it has plenty of power for the little truck.

I would say that although the 4.3 V6 is a good powerful motor, you may be a bit disappointed with it in a full size van or truck application. If you plan to do any serious work with your van, a V8 may be in order.

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh
4.3 is a great engine. BUT you don't want it in a full sized van, at least not if you really want to haul anything in it. Just not really enough engine for a brick.
Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks for the timely responses. Regarding the power factor, I normally travel mostly empty or with light, bulky cargo as my business is painting and papering. I would imagine the total load would be under 700#. My current van is an '86 Econoline, purchased new, with the 4.9 litre straight six and I haven't noticed a problem with power. It doesn't really have any and I never expected it to . Do you think the 4.3L V6 will make about the equivalent power of the 4.9 I-6? According to what I can dig up on my Econoline, the BHP is/was 145. The 4.3 Chevy shows 195. Am I comparing apples and oranges or do I just have low performance expectations? I like the idea that the 4.2 is a cut down 350. The mouse motor was always a favorite of mine.

Reply to
D F Bonnett

the thing about the Ford 300 6 is it's very diesel like torque curve. I had a '78 F150.... the 300 put out only112HP but it had 300ft-lbs of torque. I think you'll find that the 4.3 will need to be spun faster to get going, as you're giving up torque and gaining HP.

-Bret

the 4.3 started out life as a cut down 350, but it has evolved away from the SB's with balance shafts and such.

Reply to
Bret Chase

"D F Bonnett" wrote

You should be quite happy with the 4.3 engine. Obviously, you are used to running a full size van with a 6 cylinder, so I doubt that you will notice much difference. A friend of mine has full size chevy truck with a 4.3 in it, and I often borrow it for hauling stuff around. Frankly, for buzzing around the city hauling stuff, it's hard to notice that it has a v-6.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Thanks to all who have responded. I believe the V6 will do it for me as virtually all my driving is very local. My '86, bought new, has only 68K on it. It runs fine but there is a lot of rust and I've already had spring shackles and a mount collapse on the road. Hopefully, this will be my last van as I anticipate retiring in 8 or 9 years. I've been debating between the Chevy and the Ford, but based the problems I've had keeping the front end aligned with the Ford I-beam suspension, I'll most likely go with the Chevy. Again, thanks to all.

Reply to
D F Bonnett