Final drive ratio

I have a 2003 2-wheel drive GMC SLT with a 5.3L engine, auto transmission. The final drive ratio is 3.73. I do not intend to use the truck for regular pulling duties and I wish to change the drive ratio tio 3.42. Is this difficult? Where can I find the new ring gear and directions to change this at home?

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Unless most of your driving is done on the highway, I wouldn't suggest it. I had an 00 Silverado 2wd with the 3.42, and now own an 03 silverado with the

3.73. The 03 gets considerably better mileage in the city, presumably since the engine isn't having to work as hard continually starting the pull from redlight, stop sign, etc. I would get about 320 (max)miles per tank out of the 00 with 3.42, and now get right at 400+/- miles with the 03, everything else being the same.
Reply to
Jason Cothran

Mark,

Ring and pinion work is NOT for the unequipped DIY'er. You'll cook the rear end if you haven't done it before. Guys with 3.42's wish they had bought a truck with 3.73's. Be happy with what you have!

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I am utterly amazed at the difference in acceleration and feel with between my 00 3.42 and my 03 3.73. I did't 'feel' that much of a difference when I changed my old T/A to a 3.73, so I would have never guessed. GM must have done a little tuning on the little 5.3 in the past 4 years.

Reply to
Jason Cothran