firestone destination LE tires?

anyone have these tires? tirerack.com users rate them as very good, especially as an all season snow tire. They have them in stock in my town, and I'm considering getting them.

Reply to
Chris B

the firestone/bridgestone/yokahoma tire manufacturer, the one that had all the tires coming apart causing ford exploders to flip, the same one that back in the

70's the state of New York banned their product from State Trooper cars because their radials were coming apart and causing crashes and trooper deaths, that firestone company? The same one that still had radials coming apart in the 80's (really tore the front fender of my Jeep up)

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Ok, 'lightning, tell us what you really think, quit holding back.

George Vigneron

Reply to
George

Chris,

Avoid 'em. From my personal experience with that brand, you couldn't give me a set for free.

Reply to
websurfer

"websurfer" wrote

I live in a small town. The main tire retailer only sells Firestone, Cooper, Bridgestone and Michelin. The set on my truck now are Michelin and they sucked from day one. So ruling out Michelin and you ruling out FIrestone, what Cooper or Bridgestone are a good all season and decent in snow?

Reply to
Chris B

Remember that Firestone is owned by Bridgestone, and Bridgestone owned by Yokahoma.. I've had Bridgestone on one vehicle(they were on it when I bought it) They rode very nice, and wore like iron (sadly) but wouldn't hold a dry road worth a tinkers damn, and down right scary on wet roads.. I hear you on the Michelin, a fine tire 30 years ago that's been sitting on its laurels for too long. They cost the last outfit I worked for a quite a bit of money. Nothing like having one come apart on a $100,000 RV. Ripped a ton of plumbing out of it, dumped the gray water tank on the road, messed the exhaust up and tore the side a new butt. seen lots of cases of the LT tires coming apart, and the P series not holding balance and going lumpy.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

If those are your only choices, I'd go with Cooper... How far is the next town away? Go there and find a BFGoodrich dealer/retailer, or go online and order a set from some place like tirerack.com.

Reply to
websurfer

They also have Dayton tires. Never heard of them before. How are the Dayton Timberline LT or HT?

I just called the place I go to for my mechanic. They carry Uniroyal, BF Goodrich and Kumho. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Chris B

If those are your only choices, I'd go with Cooper... How far is the next town away? Go there and find a BFGoodrich dealer/retailer, or go online and order a set from some place like tirerack.com.

I second the online shopping.I`ve know several people personally and online who got great deals that way.My Doctor told me about a deal he got just last week.I forget where he told me he got his from though.There`s also Discount tire and NTW.You just have to take them to your local tire shop and have them mounted.

Reply to
Dafey

I definitely wouldn't get the kumho's, I have a set with 10K on em and they're past halfway worn. Now this is all personal opinion, but I've never had coopers, had great luck with michelins(pricey though) and bf's were good to me too.... My grandfather has gotten 80K out of his michelins, on his third set now on his truck. For what it's worth....

Dafey wrote:

who got great deals that way.My Doctor told me about a deal he got just last week.I forget where he told me he got his from though.There`s also Discount tire and NTW.You just have to take them to your local tire shop and have them mounted.

go

#000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

face=Arial>--------------------------------------------------------------When

href="

">

89GMC

BFG just remade there M/T tires,If that's what you might be interested in.Every review I have read was nothing but praise.

Reply to
Dafey

"89GMC" wrote

I had kumho on my 2000 lumina car and they were great tires especially with snow and wet traction. Maybe I'll give them a try on my blazer too.

Reply to
Chris B

Like I said all comes down to personal opinion, I've had bad luck with my kumhos but others haven't. Always had good luck with michelins but know those who would never use them again....

Another thing to consider is the source. If you do have issues down the road, and got them from a local place with good service you'll prob be better off, definitely a factor worth considering especially when a lot of brands have tread life warranty these days.

Chris B wrote:

Reply to
89GMC

Very good tire. I have a set on my 97 and they have 25K on them now. Almost zero wear and they perform very good in the wet. I used the recommendations of tire rack and bought local.

Buy what you want but despite all the haters here you can't go wrong with these tires.

Reply to
Nuclear Option