Free oil change

I got a coupon in the mail from my Chevy dealer for a free oil change and safety check. Took it in today. They said I had two marker lights out ("OK thanks, I will replace them myself this weekend") and my brake rotors are rusty ("I know. Leave 'em alone because the brakes are really good, and if you turn the rotors they'll warp") And the power steering pump shaft seal is leaking. "How much to fix that one?" $315. WTF? I asked if they replace the pump or just the pulley. He said neither, they pull the pulley off, replace the seal, and put the old pulley back on. It's real common.

Sounds like /maybe/ a 45 minute job, and they pad the bill out to about 2.5 or 3 hours labor for it (plus the part.) I think I'll just watch my power steering fluid level.

The pulley is pressed into place; don't they have a spiral groove cut in them to push the oil seepage back? I think they do, and they'll only drip a little fluid if it's parked for a long time.

He also freaked a little when he asked how much air I wanted in the tires and I told him "55# in the back and 60# in the front." :-) The door placard says 35#, but that's for OEM fat P-metric tires. I put skinny high-pressure LT's on it last year. It's amazing how much better the 85-profile tires do in the ice and snow -- which may get here tomorrow the way this weather is headed.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Do you ever get the feeling that the "free promo" means "we're going to reccomend a lot of expensive repairs"?

I'd never go to Midas for a car check. Every time I've been to Midas, they have what I call three level pricing. The price you get over the phone "sounds like $75" doubles when they do the estimate. And then the price doubles again when they actually do the work, and find all the parts that also needed to be replaced.

I've talked to others, they also report much the same with the three level pricing.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There is not, and never has been a free lunch.

To replace the 5 speed transmission in my 1993 truck, the quotes were $300 for a used one, $675 to $1450 for a rebuilt, plus $500 labor.

Did it myself, with a $300 junk yard unit, $2.28 for three new oil plugs, and a gallon of trans oil.

Plus, tied down wiring that had been loose, filled a couple empty holes in the frame/crossmember, where bolts had vansihed, and, cleaned the seat, and cab floor down to the paint. Degreased the under body and frame.

All of the extra repairs would have cost even more money with a "pro", and, I would be a worried driver, because most shops and dealers now do very shoddy work, under pressure to just get it done!

Reply to
Big Red Truck

I did get a free lunch. But the service guy wasn't happy about it. They'll probably never send me another coupon.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I hate that too. They really hammer the uninformed. It kills me to watch them get a woman with the oil on the Plexiglas trick . At the quick oil change places. . Here's your dirty differential lube. Heres what new looks like.

We will change it for $58.

Ok I better do it.

But I got back at them a couple times. I drained my manual transmission of lube once. Called them and said I was putting an old car back on the road. And would they top off everything if I brought it in for the oil change. .Then they Fill up the windshield wiper fluid, tranny oil , differential, and oil change , grease the car for for $19.99 .

Next time I went to another and drained the differential. Same story.

Couldn't charge me for a fluid change. There wasn't any.

Manager didn't like it but top offs are free. :) :)

I've got a bunch of free oil change for buying a truck. I'm wondering if they would do that to me. When I just bought the truck from them. It would make them look like crap for a few bucks. Considering its their truck I bought.

Reply to
DogDiesel