freeze plug on 4.3

I got a 1997 4.3 motor S10 I think its a freeze plug, it looks like the back of the motor under it. The water pump I have changed twice and it not leaking there. If I put truck on a lift, can I tell which freeze plug is leaking? Thanks, Joe

Reply to
joe

for those unfamiliar with the term, try reading here

re locating leak, you'll just have to try looking any way you can. One old trick was to dust the engine with baby powder, and see where it turned wet first.

Reply to
Reed

freeze plug? wtf?

Reply to
Rick Cooper

Probably above the top of the bell housing. You'll need to be more precise in where the coolant path is. Best is to use fluorescent dye and a portable uv light.

Reply to
Napoleon Blownapart

More likely it's an intake manifold leak. Common on the 4.3.

Reply to
Steve W.

If the intake manifold is leaking can I see that it's that? The motor oil is fine Thanks Joe.

Reply to
joe

Sure. Use a mirror and look for the leak around the intake. The usual leak areas are right at the corners where the intake bolts to the heads.

If your still unsure. wash the engine with some cleaner and let it dry. Then dust it with some baby powder in the areas that you suspect the leak. Then just look for the damp areas. When your finished wash the engine down again to remove the powder.

Reply to
Steve W.