Front brakes lock up when wet

Hello,

I've got an '86 2500 Suburban 4x4 and find that when it spends time sitting in the rain the front brakes apparantly get wet and then lock up at the slightest touch. I end up lurching along trying to use the brakes ever so slightly. This is not a traction thing and the anti lock mechanisms appear to be working fine. With my '86 Suburban I ended up with some kind of fluid/oil on the pads and had the same symptoms. Once they dry off and warm up a bit they are fine. This is a real pain when I'm towing my boat. Wondering if anyone has had this issue and/or knows what could be the problem.

Thanks, Luke

Reply to
Luke

  1. Are the front tires bald/slick? Driving on a slick road? (as slick as ice?)

  1. Who did the last brake repair job? Was the brake repair done properly including replacing the pads and resurfacing the rotors? Or just pads replaced?

  2. Bearings in good shape? Can you jack up the front, wiggle the wheels and no play?
Reply to
Bill

When is the last time that you bled out all the contaminated fluid? Schedule is every two years... brake fluid is hydroscopic and absorbs minute amounts of water every evening, like dew on the grass. That migrates outto the calipers (oil floats on water), can boil at the first application of the brakes (typical surface temperature exceeds 1300 degrees!).

it make the brakes really sensitive, sometimes locking them up... Change your brake fluid every 2 years...

Reply to
Big Red Truck