Front end shake when cold

Our 2005 crew cab (2wd) shakes when going over bumps as if something is loose in the front end, but only for the first few miles. After driving for a while, it feels solid. Checked wheel bearings, they are o.k. Nothing obviously loose. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

2005 Silverado crew cab short bed 2WD 17 inch Ameritrac General tires (balanced) abt 12000 miles on truck Thanks for any help.

Lena

Reply to
Lena

----------

1.) Pitman arm 2.) Idler arm. (if equipped)

3.) Air in the power steering lines

Reply to
HDS

Thanks for the suggestions. Planned to take truck to service station today for an oil change and have them look at the front end. On the way, the engine started running rough and the check engine light came on. So I bypassed the service station and drove to the dealership, figuring a possible O2 sensor gone bad and covered under warranty. Codes read bad O2 sensor and some misfirings, but O2 sensor checked good and the computer was reprogrammed with an update. Mechanic could find nothing wrong with the front end. Figure I'd solve one problem at a time and got the truck back; it drives fine, no engine hesitation and no check engine light. Will have to let the truck set overnight and see if it repeats the "loose front end" syndrome in the morning. Someone suggested I jack up the front tires overnight to make sure flat spots are not causing the vibration. However, that would cause vibration on a smooth road as well, and the sloppy front end only occurs when going over bumps, when cold.

Maybe I should just get Michelins.

ena

Reply to
Lena

[...]

If your going to stoop low, go all the way, get some bridgestones.;) (I'm a Goodyear person myself) Be that as it may, how about a shock going goofy? I know the mileage doesn't warrant it yet, but anything man can make can fail at any time. I don't see how and idler arm or pitman arm or any other ball and socket style linkage would cause a problem only when cold. How is the steering itself? ie stiff, real light, "normal" before during and after this happens?

Whitelighning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Steering is normal at all times. And the truck is never driven 'hard'; we baby it and avoid potholes, dirt roads, etc.

I guess jumping on the corners of the truck will test the response of the shocks; will try that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Lena

Reply to
Lena

Problem seems to have been fixed as a result of the mechanic lubricating the "intermediate steering shaft".

Reprogramming the computer not only fixed the rough idle that just recently started, but the feeling that the engine was lugging when cold (the same way I feel when I get up in the morning), Now it runs smoothly at idle when stone cold and when hot. No more hesitation.

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

Lena

Reply to
Lena