Front pump seal

I have a '96 Chevy 1500 Silverado with a 4L60E tranny. The other day I passed a ford truck and the front pump seal blew out, well I think it did. I haven't taken the tranny out yet but it is leaking from the front pump area. It is a reman tranny (it has over 70k or the reman) and the fluid was nice and red before the blow out. Does this tranny have a history of front pump seals failing? What should I be looking for when I take the tranny out in the morning ? I can use any help and information you can give. Thanks, David Polk

Reply to
jdpolk

I would replace any and all seals behind the torque converter when you get it apart. One might be tempted to just replace the seal around the converter shaft but I don't think there's that much pressure there. If that transmission uses a front pump mount o-ring like earlier GM transmissions that's probably where a leak may have started under high pressure usage.

nospam

Reply to
NoSpam

it blew out for a reason

usually excessive converter-to-pump-bushing clearance + got hot

you can change it, but it will blow out again, sooner or later

Reply to
TranSurgeon

and what other 'seals behind the torque converter would that be ?

c'mon, and as Grandpa used to say: 'This had better be good!'

Reply to
TranSurgeon

=============== isnt there a retainer made just for that reason? Maybe the rebuilder didnt use it.

Reply to