Fuel Cap Warning

2004 Canyon 2WD 4CYL

For the last six - nine months, I have intermittently been getting the fuel cap warning in the DIC. After a few days, the check engine light will go away on its own.

Two days ago it came on again, and being just down the street from the dealership at the time, I went in and bought a new cap.

I am still getting the warning.

What is the next most likely cause for this warning?

Reply to
Commentator

A leak in the evap system among many others.........

Reply to
Bob

Yea, but where should I look first?

Reply to
Commentator

I had the same problem. Dealer did a smoke test and found problem in gas tank vent solenoid. Located near top of tank between cab and box. Easy to change if that is problem. Dealer changed it in about 10 min and charged me an hour labour. If I had known, I would have changed it myself.

Reply to
Daryl

Thanks for the feedback. How much was the part?

Reply to
Commentator

Why are you guys paying for repairs. Unless you drive A LOT, you should be within the warranty...

Reply to
Mike Levy

I bought the truck in Feb '04 and hit the 60K mark in Sep'05. Bang. End of warranty.

Reply to
Commentator

I used it for work and have 250 k on it now. Warranty is long gone. I am only using it now in the summer to tow my travel trailer and to play. Found the bill. The part was only 88.45 but the labor was 154.45 and with misc charges and taxes it came to 289.05 . Part number on the bill was

15759042.

Reply to
Daryl

Thanks.