FUEL CONSUMPTION: 03 Tahoe????????

You're not making more power because of the gear ratio, you're just making better use of what is there. The HP ratings are the same. A numerically higher ratio puts the engine in its powerband sooner because the engine has to turn faster at the same road speed compared to a numerically lower ratio. Do you see the auto manufacturers changing the motor's HP rating depending on the rear axle ratio? Nope, an S-10 4x4 with a 4.3 had 190 HP and 260 Lb-Ft of torque, didn't matter the axle ratio. One just felt peppier than another becuase it was in the power band quicker and was making use of the power it has.

Gear ratios are also a way to offset tire size changes. Example, my

2000 S-10 ZR2 feels like accelerates about the same as my old 94 Jimmy did. The ZR2 uses a 31x10.5 tire, the Jimmy had 235/75.15's on it. The Jimmy had 3.42's, the ZR2 has 3.73's, the tire size change and gear ratio change put the engine right about the same place at cruising speed. If the ZR2 had 3.42's in it, the engine would struggle because it wouldn't be in its powerband, so the 3.73's in this case might actually HELP with MPG.
Reply to
Mike Levy

I certainly didn't mean to imply that a change in gearing would alter a motor's horsepower rating. A truck's most efficient torque range starts at the point where acceleration can first be obtained effortlessly, without any lugging, with the top end occurring when the motor's RPM exceeds the efficiency that could be obtained in the next higher gear.

The problem in obtaining maximum gas mileage occurs when it is no longer possible to shift into higher gears. At this point, in otherwise identical trucks, the vehicle with a 3.42 rear end ratio will usually deliver better mileage, while the truck with a 3.73 rear end will deliver more acceleration.

Reply to
One-Shot Scot

Hello Adam,

We have a 3.73 rear axle, 4x4, 265x75R16 on alloys (always at 35 psi), 4L80E

4-spd auto, 6.5 TD. On flat land, we get 21-22 mpg at 65 mph (1800 rpm "max torque). We just completed a 500 mile round trip through the Poconos PA and Binghamton NY (hills, small mountains) and got 18.5 mpg. 6500 lbs GVWR but it's a diesel... I've sworn off gassers years ago.

Franko

Reply to
Franko

Your mpg sounds about right to me, thats pretty much what I got in my 2003 also before I sold it.

If you ever tow a trailer it will get around 9 to 10mpg towing a 6000lb one.

Reply to
cds

Reply to
adam

Hahaha! How'd you know what I did with my 5.7l gasser? Boring the block out to bring it up to 6.5l was touch-n-go 'coz there's no meat left between the cylinders...

Reply to
Franko