Fuel Gauge Wandering on 99 3500 Van....

OK, listen up all you Chevy owners. I keep seeing a thread about a "wandering" fuel gauge when the tank gets down to about a 1/4 tank. It just about drove me crazy trying to figure out what was wrong and how to fix it. I checked a bunch of stuff, then found it.

The tank sending unit (located on the side of the electric fuel pump inside the gas tank) is usually the source of the problem. Basically the way it works is that there is a potentiometer attached to a float by means of a lever. The float rises and falls as gas is added or consumed in the tank. The potentiometer translates the mechanical motion of the float arm into a varying electrical resistance which is displayed in on the gauge.

After 75K to 100K miles or so, the float has moved up and down enough times to wear down the contacts or brushes on the potentiometer. At a low level in the tank, the contacts no longer touch the resistive area on the potentiometer reliably, and you get a gas gauge that doesn't read reliably when there is low fuel.

To "repair" the problem is quite an undertaking. If you are not pretty experienced with automotive repairs, don't take this on as a DIY project.

WARNING: This is very dangerous. Do not try this at home if you are not willing to take a HUGE RISK because it involves removing the gas tank, lowering it, taking out the fuel pump assembly, making a complicated repair, and re-installing everything. Every attempt should be made to be as safety conscious as possible. You must disconnect the battery as the FIRST STEP in this procedure.

Procedure:

1) Disconnect battery cables. 2) Remove and lower gas tank. (See shop manual.) 3) Remove fuel pump assembly from fuel tank. (again, shop manual.) 4) Repair sending unit. See below.

Details: Once you have the fuel pump assembly in hand, drain the excess gasoline from the sending unit into a clean gasoline proof plastic container. It holds a bunch of extra gas and will drain for a while. Just set the pump unit in the container and then let it drain for a few minutes. Then locate the sending unit on the fuel pump unit.

To verify the problem is indeed the sending unit, you will first need to carefully inspect the sending unit brushes on the side of the fuel pump assembly to confirm that indeed the brushes are not making contact when the float is low in the tank. Do this by moving the float arm up and down and looking at the tiny brushes on the sending unit. You can use an ohm meter to confirm this as well.

Next remove the float and float arm. There is a clip holding the arm onto the sending unit. After you have removed the float and float arm, remove the sending unit from the pump assembly.(very tricky but it can be done.) Once you have the sending unit in hand, you will need to take the wiring loose from the fuel pump assembly and then also the sending unit. It takes some understanding of how connectors work. If you aren't completely comfortable with these steps, you can skip them, but it makes the repair more tedious.

Using a supporting surface (I used a slightly open bench vise)lay the sending unit face down and CAREFULLY drive the center pivoting module out of the main unit by gently tapping it with a punch using a small hammer. (If you can't fix something with a hammer, well...you just aren't doing it right or you have the wrong hammer.)

This will give you access to the brushes on the assembly. Look at them very carefully. You should see wear on the ends of the brushes.

The next part is VERY tricky and should only be performed by qualified individuals like: brain surgeons, pilots, marine snipers, and other over-confident, egotistical, maniacs such as myself. Or just be really, really careful.

Carefully note the attitude of the brushes. You are going to take a small needle nose pliers and bend the brushes in such a way that they make better contact when reassembled to the resistor that is in the other half of the sending unit. This is important. They must make firm contact, but they are extremely small and very fragile. You have to do it right the first time, or you'll be explaining to your wife why you have to buy a $400 fuel pump assembly because your gas gauge was a little unreliable. By the way, if you read this far and you are feeling panicky or beginning to sweat a little just thinking about doing this, then you probably ought to start using your trip odometer as an indicator of when to buy gas.

OK, we adjusted the brushes. Now it's time to reconnect and reassemble everything in reverse order.

As soon as you get the pivot assembly installed back onto the sending unit, do yourself a favor and check to see that it's working using an ohm meter. You don't want to put everything back together only to find you didn't get the brushes JUST RIGHT.

Once you verify everything with the meter, continue with the reassembly in reverse order.

Note: Be very careful handling the fuel tank. It's very heavy all by itself. I waited to do the job until I had very little gas in the tank. The problem with that is, that's when gas tanks are the most dangerous. The more air in the tank, the bigger the explosion if you make a mistake. And you will only have the one mistake...

That's all there is to it. Remember to hook up the battery cables LAST.

I spent about 2 or 3 hours doing this job last year, and I haven't had any problems since then.

I don't know when to expect the fuel pump to fail but when it does, at least I know what to do to change it out, and how much it will cost.

Again, this could be dangerous. Please be extremely careful when working around gasoline and tanks.

Good luck!!!

Reply to
Don in Austin Texas

Very entertaining. Especially the hammer part LOL.

I would add just one more caution for someone who has never worked around gas - just remember it eats asphalt. Really. It is best to work on concrete, but in any case you should clean up a spill immediately. The obvious safety issues surrounding leaving puddles of gas on your driveway aside, it would be really silly to save money on this repair by doing it yourself only to have to spend it on resurfacing your driveway.

Reply to
Commentator

Or follow the General's advice and don't buy cheap gas...

V.B.

Reply to
vb

What are you talking about? In the case of the OP, you do not need to buy the whole fuel pump assembly. In fact, most of the GM vehicles right now, can have only the sensor assembly replaced. Why go through your complicated, convulated, procedure when you can simply buy a new sensor? And it won't cost 400 dollars.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

I own a 1999 Silverado and when I went to fix the problem, I could not find a place to sell me a sensor, I thought I was going to have to buy a fuel pump assembly. Thanks for letting me know that they are available. In fact, if you know off the top of your head, where can a person purchase the "sensor" for a 99 Silverado?

Oh by the way, my repair cost me exactly $0. :)

Reply to
Don in Austin Texas

Probably best to try the dealership. You "can" get a separate sensor for your truck. We replace them separately all the time.

No doubt, I'm not questioning the fact that you were able to save money. But let's say that your little fix fails

2 months down the road. Now you have to drag the tank back down again and figure out what you are going to do. Better to just replace the sensor and be done with it.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Touche! If it does fail ( :( ) Don will be a very unhappy camper!!! Thanks for the heads up on the sensor. My 99 Silvo 15oo has around

104K miles on it now. I'm expecting the fuel pump to crater sometime in the near future. Does ANYONE out there know what kind of life expectancy those things have on average? My wife will be taking off on a trip from Austin Texas to Breckenridge Colorado pulling a 30 ft travel trailer equipped with two children and no husband in July...(can anyone say DISASTER?)I'll probably post again on another topic soon, but thanks for the info.

Reply to
Don in Austin Texas

Hey Don,

I originally posted this question a while back.....Thanks a million for the extensive writeup on the repair. I think I'll try to buy the sensor alone and replace it !!!

BTW - this 99 3500 van has 41k on the odometer, probably started this behavior at about 40k ! Crappy gas ??? Should I post the brand name of the type of gas I used for the first couple of years ??? I had nothing but trouble with fouled injectors and poor running until I finally conceded it WAS the gas and changed brands.... NO TROUBLE SINCE...(except for the fuel gauge now....) FWIW my wifes Ford ran great forever on the aforementioned crappy gas..??

How many Chevy guys here have had gas trouble ??? With their truck that is....

Reply to
Jeff Sellers

Well, I've been told that the sensor is available. And rather than f*ok with it, I'd have replaced it could I have found one. I didn't really look all that hard to be honest. By the time I found what was wrong, it seemed simpler to just fix what I had than go to the store in my wife's car all smelly and dirty from gas. Heck, I didn't even know what I was going to find wrong until I dug into the job.

If you can buy a sensor BY ALL MEANS DO SO. It's kind of risky doing it the hard way.

Good luck!!!

d:^)

Reply to
Don in Austin Texas

Hi guys. So I'm not alone with my screwy gas gauge! I have a 2000 Silverado with only 50k on it, and for 3 months now, the gauge will shoot up to full, then down to zero and then eventually, return to ballpark normal. It only does this when idling and not when in motion.

The dealer (also referred to as The Man) told me it would be $550 to fix it! $400 for the part and $150 labor. I said "thanks", but I'm driving a Chevy, not a Mercedes.

I then got a quote for a used sender for $175. I'm thinking of going that route and doing it myself.

I read all of the posts in this thread and feel like it's do-able. One thing I considered doing for safety, is to attach a ground wire to the tank, myself and the ground to avoid any static electricity generated by me. I had also planned to do this in the yard.

I really have a hard time grasping the concept of bad gas as being the culprit. That just sounds like an unreasonable explanation. What do you think?

I'd appreciate any tips or opinions.

Ace

Reply to
googliemooglie

I'm a little skeptical too if "bad" gas would damage the sender unit, I think they just suck to begin with !!!

What I do know for sure is that my truck (99 3500 5.7) had alot of problems with "Brand Name Deleted" gasoline in the first 3 yrs or so.....I insisted on using that brand cause I had their credit card and the station was real close and easy. The truck was hard to start, ran crappy, had to take it to the dealer several time to get the injectors cleaned...They told me not to use that kind of gas !!! I thought for sure it was some kind of lame-o dealer excuse, until I started to hear similar stories from other people. The last straw was near the end of the warranty period when it was into the dealer for the injectors again, and after the end of the warranty it was gonna cost ME next time.

I ran the tank low and filled up with Sunoco gas, and let me tell you the difference was like night and day !!!! The truck ran like it always should have, and got a touch better mileage too !!! I've never even put that other crap in my lawnmower or anything else since....although my wife's Ford always ran OK on it ??

Go Figure, Eh ?

Good luck with your sender job, I still haven't decided if I'm gonna change mine out or live with it till the pump dies .....

Later

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Sellers