Fuel Tank Size???--1997 GMC 3500HD

Can someone tell me the number of gallons each fuel tank holds? Truck is a

1997 GMC 3500HD diesel. Front tank is located between the rails, to the left of the driveshaft, and slightly behind the cab. REAR tank is located between the rails, and behind the rearend. I need to remove the rear tank to make room for a trailer hitch and the dump mechanism. So I would like to know how much fuel I will have left. Thanks, Chief
Reply to
Chief McGee

I used ot own one and I believe it is 17 gals each tank for a total of 34 gals

Reply to
Randd01

I still for the life of me cannot understand this concept... you can have a dual tank vehicle which holds a total of 34 gallons, or you can have a single tank vehicle that holds 34 gallons. What the heck is the point of having 2 tanks if the're not going to make them bigger??

-Tony

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

Judging by this 3500HD that I am working on, it is a matter of space. Both tanks seem to be molded for a custom fit. There is no room left to make either tank any bigger. They did do an odd job with the plumbing. The rear tank has its own pump that pumps directly into the front tank. Keeping the front tank full until the rear tank is empty. The single gas gauge on the dash shows what is in the front tank and there is no switch to change tanks. This makes it a little odd because you can drive several hours before you start drawing off the front tank and the gauge starts moving.

Reply to
Chief McGee

Hi!

Two things...one I've been told by more than a few and the other I came up with on my own...

  1. Dual tanks better distribute the weight of the fuel on the vehicle. No idea how true that is--that's the one I was told, but I could see how it might make sense.

  1. Flip the tank selector switch when your first tank is about empty and the second is full. Watch the fuel gauge. Cool, huh? (Okay, a cheap thrill, but fun for one or two times...and for people who don't know you have dual tanks...)

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Just had a blowout yesterday and jerked the kneck out of my rear tank. Ruined of course. Is the tank for the diesel the same as the one for the gas model. If so would you be interested in selling the tank you take out?

Mark

Reply to
embee

So is there a switch to change tanks, if so where is it located

Reply to
Steve1954