gm duramax vs. ford powerstroke

I've always liked the towing power of the ford powerstroke, but I like the gm truck better overall. Now that the duramax has been out for a while, how's the pulling power up hills? I pull a four horse trailer and like to drive 80 up hills, which the powerstroke does fine.

Reply to
Horseniac

Here we go with the diesel wars... everyone loves a certain brand better. So here's my 2 cents:

As far as longevity, reliability and torque per pound/engine size go, the Dodge/Cummins wins hands down. This could also be because they were built off the design of a commercial duty heavy truck engine. This same 5.9B engine has been used in farm and construction equiptment for years. The inline-6 design also makes for some serious longevity. We have a 1991 Dodge Dually on our farm with 360,000 miles on it. Still runs like brand new, other than burning a little oil. It's still our main trailer pulling truck. The body will fall off that truck before the engine even thinks about dying.

The Powerstroke is a good motor as well, but they don't have the longevity of the Cummins simply because of their design. Nonetheless, a powerhouse good for well over 150,000 miles.

The Duramax? I have no idea about it. I want nothing to do with a diesel engine that has aluminum heads on it. I don't like the design of the new Chevy's either... but then again, I don't like anything new really ;-)

Tony

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

Yes, The Cummins will just keep going, and it has a very flat Torque curve.

So the PowerStroke is only good for 150K miles? If this was a Ford NG you would get flamed for weeks on that one. I do not know the longevity, but I'm sure a PSD owner can enlighten us on the subject.

As the Duramax. I know there are a few people out there that can vouch for their longevity. It was designed (and built??) in collaboration with Isuzu. I would have to say that just by the people designing it might know what they are doing. Sure, even I am a little leery about the Aluminum heads, but hey, it just might prove to us that Aluminum will work IF its designed correctly.

If Dodge made an extended cab, and offered the Alison trans, I would be sold.

Reply to
Trey

Dodge may have to start offering an Allison transmission. Have you heard about the new 5.9 Cummins that's coming out? 600 lb-ft torque and 325 HP.

Here's a link to the press release on it.

No word on what transmission will be used, but I doubt any mopar unit will handle it, unless they have a new one to go with it...

Reply to
Mike Levy

Yeah, I have heard about this new engine, and I had asked The guys in the Dodge NG about it, and they just yelled at me saying that Dodge transmissions are fine.. bla bla bla...

Here, I found the thread:

*%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26group%3Dalt.*%26selm%3DYBzzb.3285%2524Qd6.2022%2540newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net%26rnum%3D1

Reply to
Trey

Since Allison is part of GM powertrain, I *really* doubt Dodge would be allowed to purchase them esp. considering how much GM touts the Allison 1000 in the 2500HD's and 3500's. 600 lb/ft is just rediculous... if you need that much torque, you *really* should be in a medium duty chassis.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

What, within the legal load limit can not be pulled with the current offerings? I cant think of anything. The biggest reason I can think of for having 600 Ft/LB is because Ford and Chevy don't have it (yet) so they can tout the "highest Torque in class" title until Ford comes out with 620, then Chevy with 630, then Dodge again with 640... etc. As for the Alison Trans. I would think GM would want to sell them, A sale is a sale. and the bottom line is its still a profit.

Reply to
Trey

My friend has one, and loves it! I have driven one a few times, and it drives very nicely. I would not mind owning one, just cant justify it.

Reply to
Trey

Howdy, here's my take on this. The Duramax was chosen because Isuzu (a GM partner ) has built 13 million diesels in the past 6 decades, they know how to build a good diesel. TheAllison Trans (also a partner of GM ) is a great

5 speed trans and I'm sure that for enough money GM just might sell a few to Dodge and Ford.

Dale P...............

2003 2500HD Duramax crewcab
Reply to
Dale Peterson

Or will they need to beef it up a bit more for the 2004 1/2 Duramax with rumor has it, 590 Ft. Lb. Torque and 310 HP? It is supposed to be out sometime after the first of the year. I think only in the 3500HD, at least only to start.

Reply to
Dick

Yeah, but the 2500HD is lighter and a little quicker at the drag strip ;-)

Reply to
Trey

That might be a good idea...then the 3500's would actually pull more that the 2500HD's, instead of the other way around.

Reply to
SpaseKase

Perhaps the question is why would someone want 600 lb/ft of torque with an automatic? That should be a mandatory dually/stick combo.

Reply to
John Alt

Tony Kimmell

Now you understand why the Dodge guys "yell" at him.

;^>

Reply to
BillG
150,000 miles is not any major accomplishment with today's engines. I see PSD trucks for sale with 300,000 to 400,000 miles all the time. so I guess it would also be safe to say that Chevy's last for well over 100 miles, since that is in fact a true statement too. since we are not discussing just how far we are talking about. Just, "well over" what ever it is.

Reply to
Trey

Well no shit... my '85 Suburban has 204,000 miles on it. It's all in how you drive and take care of things.

I was just stating the simple fact that an inline engine is way more likely to outlast a V8 when it comes to longevity, and I like the Cummins because it's been used and proven in equiptment over the years. The "well over 150,000 mile" reference was pulled out of my ass... I meant it to mean that you can expect them to last to at LEAST

150,000 miles before major repair. I suppose if I had said 250,000 you'd still not be happy. I've seen plenty of Powerstrokes with over 300,000 miles on them. Then again, I've also seen a Volvo with 700,000 original miles on it...

This is why it's pointless to discuss the Big-three's diesel lineup in any great detail. The Chevy guys all think that the Chevys are best, Ford guys love the Ford's etc... Personally I hate Dodge trucks, and I'd much rather have the Ford truck with a Cummins engine in it. But there again thats MY opinion from the experience that I've had with the various diesels and the newer trucks.

If I had mad money, I'd just dump a Cummins/NV4500 in a 70's K20 or K30 and be done with it ;-)

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

Very true, Diesel engines can go for a vary long time. no matter who makes them these days. Most gas engines can last a long time too. My main complaint about the current Diesel truck offerings from Ford, Chevy, AND Dodge, is they are too big! I want a Diesel truck, but I do not want a full size truck. If I was pulling a trailer or doing construction, then I would love a full size truck. But trying to park that thing in the tiny parking spots at work, and trying to navigate LA traffic with a big truck it just no good. I have a Dodge Dakota right now, and still park on the lines in the parking lot. If they made a Dakota, Ranger, or the new Colorado with a 4L Diesel, then I would be driving one right now. I just hope Isuzu imports their D-Max! BTW, I am not exactly a fan of Dodge any more ether. After two Dodges they both get bad gas mileage, and the paint is pealing. My Dakota is a 99, and its still peeling!

Ford makes a good product, opposed to popular opinion around here. We have a whole fleet of Fords at work, and they are great. The 4x4 Ford with the leaf-sprung live axle is NOT very comfortable then off roading.

Chevy, Great product, but I hate the steering. there is not enough feedback. Its hard to feel the road. I guess you get used to it though.

Reply to
Trey

If they would import the Diesel Ranger over here to the US, I'd be first on the lot to buy one. I'd love to have a small/midsize truck with a diesel in it. The majority of stupid ass American people seem to not like diesels though.

I've had numerous VW rabbit Diesels in the past and always have been made fun of in them, but then when I tell people I can get 53 MPG out of it, they usually shut up ;-)

I've often thought about building up a jeep or S-10/Ranger and dumping a 3.3B or 3.9B Cummins 4 cylinder and NV3500 in it. Now that would be cool. I've seen a few of them at shows, and the're awesome.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Kimmell