GM starters + rain = new starter. HELP

What is the deal with GM starters? I mean, im on my 3rd starter now, just replaced the 2nd about a month and a half ago. Been raining the last week or so, and of course, the starter is now dead... when turning the key, all i get is the infamous "click!". Changing the solenoid does NOT fix anything, we tried that with starter #1 and ended up buying 2 solenoids and a new starter to find out the problem was the starter itself.

Why is it that these pieces of shit cannot get wet at all or they'll stop working? Why on earth put in down there, right next to ground with no splash guard or any sort of protection from water if they're not water proof! Jesus its not like im driving my truck into 3 feet of water... This is just normal splash up from driving on freeways in the SF Bay Area. No 'huge' puddles or any ridiculous driving conditions. The puddles on the roads can't be more than an inch deep.. shit, i avoid any and all puddles since starter #2 cuz I know this will happen.. and it happened anyways!

I mean, there's got to be a fix and this has to be extremely widespread, i can't believe im the only one who has this problem. Anyone know why this happens and what can be done to fix it, or what specific brand of starters to get that arent pieces of shit like GM's? Thanks

Chevy 1991 C1500 Silverado 5.7L 350 180k everything is basically stock. stock height.

Reply to
smoothmilk

I don't know why yours are so problematic - i've had mine submerged in water and they still work fine.

Where are you getting your replacements at?

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Chavers

My lifetime replacement starter from Autozone has been working fine to 1.5 years. At least it is easy to get to and change. Not like working on my 94 TA.

Reply to
Troy

Me thinks you have a bad connection somewhere else...

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
nobodyhere

That's what me thinks too! Mike

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Mike Copeland

I'll triple that notion.

Doc

____________________________________________________________________________ ___

> The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
"Doc"

This is NOT a common problem on trucks of this vintage. Every truck of this era I've owned started just fine, rain or shine. I'd start looking at the electrical connections to the starter and solenoid as the source of yer' woes.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

"bad connection somewhere else"

The clicking is the solenoid's piston moving across to allow current to go to the starter. That means: (A) there's ample power to the solenoid; (B) the solenoid works--if there was no clicking then no power would be either reaching the solenoid (because of a problem somewhere else) or no power would be reaching the starter because the solenoid isnt working; (C) There is power getting to the starter--if not, then it's an internal problem inside the starter motor, which requires its removal and replacement.

Where do you propose this bad connection be? I have the GM Shop manual for this truck and the wiring diagram book, I don't see a whole lot of places there could be a problem related to this that's outside of the starter & solenoid if power is reaching the solenoid.

Starter #2 was a Napa Auto rebuilt starter, and it worked for about 2 years. #3 was also from Napa, same kind, and their last one, and worked for about a month and a half. I'm going to assume the problem here is the low quality nature of Napa starters. Are there any places online that sell "super high quality" starters for GM's?

Thanks

Reply to
smoothmilk

Hi!

Which is, most likely, what the problem is.

Check the side terminal battery contacts. Crud builds up inside, so even if the surfaces against the battery contacts are clean, the insides of the terminals under the insulation may be filled with corrosion and causing your problem.

Make sure the all the terminals on the solenoid are good and clean. Clean the other ends of heavy wire(s) heading for the solenoid.

Most importantly make sure your battery is good and do be sure your grounds are in good shape as well!

No, clicking indicates a lack of enough power to keep the solenoid in the "on" position to engage the starter. Somewhere something is causing sufficient resistance so that the current cannot flow in the required quantity to keep the solenoid on and start the starter motor spinning.

; (B) the solenoid works--if there was no clicking

Probably true. A (very) burned out solenoid resulted in very slow, flaky starter operation for me. It never clicked, but the starter had problems spinning the engine over.

There may not be *enough* power reaching the starter. See above.

I'd have to guess at why the starter works for a while and then quits. Perhaps it is the normal wear of components inside the starter that make it slightly harder to get going over time...and as a result you are experiencing a "failure" of the starter to work.

I propose that it is somewhere inline between the battery terminals and the starter itself. Specifically, I'd suspect the edge-contact terminals of causing trouble first. Only after I have cleaned those up and made sure the battery is big enough/worth having/etc... would I check to be sure the wires leading to the solenoid and all grounds are in good working order.

Find yourself a good automotive electric shop. In my area there are at least two small/medium sized shops doing business and providing excellent service. When the starter on my '84 Sierra failed I had it rebuilt at a nearby shop that specializes in automotive electrical work. When I brought the starter in, it was a broken up greasy lump that barely worked. I got that same starter back with a brand new solenoid and in brand new looking condition. The turnaround was amazing and the starter works better than it ever did...it's been at least two years since.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

don't neglect the possibility of leakage from the side terminals getting into the wire itself, and corroding it

split the insulation with a knife all the way up to the terminal, if the wire is bulged or has that white powderey shit between the strands, get new cables

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Replace the cable. Make sure all the connections shine before torquing them down. Shine up the negative connections too. Are there any fusible links in the line? Check the resistance for the new cable, should be almost unreadably low depending on the quality of the meter you are using. Lots of cheap replacement cables are of a smaller gauge, don't go cheap. If you want to be real anal about it get some welding cable and get the proper terminals crimped on. :) Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

sometimes the intimate connection between the cable and terminal will corrode, thus setting the conditions you describe, by causing a high resistance.

Reply to
Baboo

Hi!

That's true, but so far they haven't managed to squeeze a computer or much else that could go wrong into those same old side terminal connectors...and I don't think GM has ever done much to solve the basic problems with the design. I'm not sure there is much they could do.

Agreed...I don't think it is the starter either. Those starters should take a lot of crap and give you plenty of warnings before they die. (At least my old Sierra was patient and knew that its owner probably would take a long time to figure the problem out! ;-) )

William The Guesser & Part-Time Thinker

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Well, we tested the battery at a shop, tested the cable, etc. all good, as expected. We went to AutoLectric of Campbell, Ca and purchased a starter with "all new parts" for $89, as opposed to their "rebuilt" starter which was $53. Put it in, started up just like it should.

So this leads me to believe that despite everyones suggestions that it was not a starter or solenoid problem which it seems to have been... though we'll see how long this mo-bettuh starter lasts. At least this one comes with a 1 year warrenty and the people who built it only do starters & alternators :)

I want to thank everyone for their help & suggestions, especially william. Let this be a lesson though: GM STARTERS + WATER = TIME FOR A NEW STARTER! Even my dad doesnt believe that statement but this is starter #4... even he cant deny there is something up with starters for this truck and water. He says old international starters were the same way, but wouldnt think late-model stuff like a 91 chevy would have the same problems.

Reply to
smoothmilk

Hope it works out for you. My '91 has 306,000 on it, and it's on its

3rd starter. AC Delco, from the dealer. Never had an issue with water. Now, if water got on the body, or something like that, it might just die.... (you'd have to see the truck, it's a lumberwagon at best)

Rick K

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
luckystrike39

Dang, my 91 only has 253000 on it, still a spry pup!

____________________________________________________________________________ ___

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Troy

yeah, i think a lot of my problem is Napa starters... God i hope it is; changing starters is not my idea of a fun 2 hours :(

Reply to
smoothmilk

With all this practice, it still takes ya 2 hours? ;-)

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Chavers