GM trucks

Hi I had a 99 suburban since it was new. I loved the truck in spite of all the design flaws like brakes, charging, door locks, ect. Bottom line was it was so useful easy to drive who could complain.. about how much repairs were needed. On top of that parts are so cheap. So I had a love hate relationship for many years with 99 GMC suburban. I did repairs myself. So recently I went to look for new trucks since the suburban died twice in one week. This 99 suburban had 65K mils on it the engine is ran like almost new. When I sold it was running really good. I love GMC since I had a 2004 standard cab with a 4.8L. It was a great truck in spite of the transmission issues. After looking at the new

2011 GMs it was clear GM is not putting any effort into improving truck designs. The 4.8L is only available with the same 4 speed transmission as my 99 Suburban. It was clear to me these are the same trucks as the 70's with new pushrod engines. They also had 11" drum brakes in the rear. Only small trucks use drum brakes. Drum brakes, actually can work but but they should be large hey.. its a truck, lets have at least 13 Inch drums in the back,, you will still be outdated but at least they can work. My Suburban could barley stop it self after a delay in the pedal actuation with 11" drums in the rear though the big problem was the small front disc brakes.. This was truly a dangerous vehicle brake wise. I had to put brakes on anything I towed even if it was 2000 Lbs. Back to engines don't get me wrong GM is the best at pushrod engines in the world they were are good in 2004 but are now out dated. They don't put the 6 speed with the 4.8L which needs it to compete with ford 4.6L 3V The GM trucks are the same for 2010 as 2011. They can't compete with the 2011 ford line up as GM will still have 4 speed transmissions Vs. fords 6 speed. Ford 3,7 six will be better than GM 4.8L 8. It will tow much more maybe 2X No doubt Power towing and performance will be good for new designs. We wont discuss the 4.3l as it will be virtually worthless. The 5.3 will fail against Ford 5.0. GM tuck is lighter but that mat nor help enough. We know GM 6L is a dog at 350HP it too may fail against 5,0L and may not fair much better than the 5.3L. We know Toyota will kill GM too they have a good line up in engines. Bottom line is Government motors stands to loose big in tis best division, the truck division because of lack of design engineering. After looking at GM vs Ford if I could not buy Ford it would be a Dodge because it is a better truck. I have never owned a Dodge but they now better than GM at this stage.

Good luck to GM

Reply to
joe.goodart
?

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@26g2000yqv.googlegroups.com...

[...]

11 Inch brakes on a 1/2 ton truck is more then good enough. They stop great. Anyone dumb enough to buy a 1/2 ton Suburban got what they deserved!!! It's a Larger HEAVY vehicle and yet has a weak brake system among other things. If you got the 3/4 ton version the brakes would have been a whole lot better!!!

Same with the trucks. You buy the Truck for the Jobs you plan to do with it. Be it a 1/2 tone 3/4 tone, 1 ton, maybe a Dually. Doesn't matter if it's a Chevy, Ford, or Dodge.

Reply to
JBDragon

GMs are cheaper then Ford. I wouldn't touch a ford truck. But they both rot too much.

I've always thought rear drum brakes are better then rear disc brakes. They work better and are better in the rain and snow. . And you stop quicker. And the pedal feel is better. Because rear disc brakes lock up.

Except with ABS . ABS makes rear disc brakes not lock up. And then they will work better then the drum brakes.

I have had a couple of Suburbans too. Nothing new , but a friend has a

2000 , 2001. His are awesome and the brakes are too.

The weight issue is because if the EPA. Gas mileage emission mandates .

I'm not sure of the brake issue. Order a tow package and maybe the brakes are bigger.

I don't expect GM to do anything to the Suburban. Its base is $54,000 and they don't sell many.

Reply to
DogDiesel

Not quite, the base is : Your Price $39,875

Reply to
Troy

Aside from the bailout, I have another reason to hate GM. I had to replace one of the clips holding the tailgate latch rod. I went to the GovMotors dealer to get the official Government Motors part, and the little five cent part cost $7+. In the process I had broke one of the prongs on the tailgate latch bezel and had to replace that also. From the GM dealer that was over $29. I did not think that the autoparts place had the clip so I paid over $7 for it from the dealer, but decided to wait on the bezel. On the way home I stopped at an autoparts place and found the bezel less then $7.

I am tired of customer/manufacturer loyalty running one way. I have only owned GM vehicles since 1986 (with the exception of one Dodge). That ends with my current vehicle. I will not even consider a GM vehicle. My next truck (or car), will be a Ford or something foreign.

Being an patiotic American has nothing to do with bending over for an "American" corporation just because it has an American name. Ford and the foreign manufactures may be just as bad when it comes to parts, service, etc., but when it comes time to replace the 03 Silverado, it is time to try something different.

Here is all the vehicles I have owned in my adult life:

1973 Mercury Comet (wish I still had that) 1983 Ford F-100 (last year for the 100) 1985 Ford Tempo 1986 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 1990 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

Vehicle I want in the future:

3000 Ford Thudercougarfalconbird
Dr.Smith

I've driven GM, Chrysler, and for a couple weeks, a Ford. My experience with GM has been good, so far. They do break down, but are generally dependable. The Chryslers (models from 1974 through to 1980) have been undependable. I oughta not bought more than one of them.

The Ford I only had briefly, and lost it to a traffic collision. In that time, I was very pleased with it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon