GM Vortec V6 throttle plate device

Is the small metal heel shaped device riveted to the lower throttle plate on the butterfly a necessary device? It has broken off the throttle plate.

It appears to be type of venturi blocking device to assist in raising the air flow velocity at low speeds. My thinking is it's needed, but my co-worker disagrees.

Thanks, Hank

Reply to
Hank

That device is there to stop the throttle from being too jumpy off-idle. It effectively blocks off half the throttle-body for the first fraction of throttle opening. There is at least one supplier selling a replacement butterfly that lacks this add-on.

RM

Reply to
richard6121