GMC 2006 crew cab, why 4.8?

Hello, Was just wondering... I bought my 06 GMC crew cab, 4x4, low end model, SL I beleive, and it only has a 4.8. Seems like when reading online it noted all crew cabs came with 5.3's. Even the DMV didn't have a 4.8 in their computer for the crew cab. Did I just get a low end model where they decided to use a 4.8 to save on cost or something. Was just wondering. Thanks.

Reply to
Bill

Someone put a non-stock motor in it for some reason. Maybe the original 5.3 was blown? Has it been wrecked?

Reply to
Bryan Wills

In 2006 Chevy decided to save some money by putting the 4.8l in the lower end models as the stock motor with the 5.3l as an option.

Reply to
Sigwings

Do you really think the 4.8 is cheaper to build than the 5.3?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Cheaper to build? No. A good way to keep the price the same and give the customers less. This way if you want the larger motor, you have to pay more. I definately paid less for my 04 1/2 ton CC than people are paying now.

Reply to
Sigwings

Greetings,

It's most definitley not about the cost.

If you've seen the news lately the Gov't has decided to implement higher average mileage standards on certain light duty trucks, including half-ton pick-ups. In order to bring their corporate average up slightly in light of the new requirements GM decided to start offering the smaller 4.8L V-8 in some trucks as the base motor because it's rated for about 1-2mpg better than the 5.3.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan