Half ton van brake problem

about six months back, i replaced the pads and rotors on my 96 half ton express van. At the time, I was lazy and didn't check the backs. i've been putting it off. last friday, my wife reported a metal grinding noise. i assumed i had waited too long on the backs and stopped by the parts store to get new drums, shoes, and a spring kit. rather than trying to turn them, they looked original and had 150k on them. so i opted to just replace them. I did all the work last saturday. It looked as though the bracket on one of the shoes has rusted from behind as the break material was cracking and falling off. that drum also had some grooves as it was down to the rivits.

I put it all back together, no change in the grinding noise. so I took off the right front wheel to find that the inside pad was down to the bracket, but the outside pad looked new. I bought new pads and a new rotor and put them on also that afternoon. the kid at autozone seemed to think it was a stuck caliper, but i was skeptical. it wasn't leaking and seemed to move ok. And the bolts were nice an greasy with seals in good shape. still, it was only $17 so i opted to replace the caliper also just in case.

So what happened? was it a bad pad? was the kid right, a stuck caliper?

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

I would vote for the stuck caliper, I would also have changed out the brake lines if they have 150K on them.

Reply to
Sigwings

Could be a bad pad but it should have pulled pretty bad to the opposite side. I would lean more towards a stuck caliper housing, or the inboard was hanging up on the spindle, or the clip that holds the inboard to the caliper piston was missing. At 17 dollars you didn't get anything but a caliper, no new hardware. And AZ pads suck. AZ the walmart of auto parts. And I can talk as bad about them as I want because I worked for them for 18 months when MS entered my life while being retrained at college for a new career back in 2000. I would have replaced both calipers just because of the mileage with a set of loaded calipers, preferably Raybestos. And if there is any sign of cracking in the hoses, they would be replaced too. AZ sells made in China rotors and drums, and about half are warped right out of the box. Not to mention that even though everyone knows, and the boxes are clearly marked, store flat, AZ has them on edge. A vehicle that wont start is an inconvienence, one that wont stop is a toe tag fitting. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

The rubber looked in remarkably good shape. I suspect they're not original.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

I didn't get the cheap pads this time. The old ones had a one-piece clip that went inside the cylinder in the caliper. The new pads had a two piece clip that was a much better design.

The caliper came with everything except the bolts, the bracket, and the two rubber shrouds by where the bolts go in. Those looked newish so I switched them over from the old caliper. It came with new seals for where the bolts come through into the bracket.

I sort of like the chinese rotors. They do warp sometimes, but I figure they're expendable. I haven't gotten one warped from the beginning yet. I change them when changing out the pads rather than having them turned. When I had my suburban, the chinese rotors were $15, a ridiculously low price. These were $70 because they're a one-piece hub/rotor.

When the pad went, it did pull to the left, but only slightly. Just enough to make me pull the right wheel off first.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning