Hard starting problems

I have a '96 C1500 with a 5.7L Vortec. When the truck sits for a long time it is hard to start, but once I get it started it runs fine - no residual problems. Every once in a while it will run rough at idle but will rev up and drive normally. Once the truck has been running for 15 secs or 2 hours, it'll start pretty much OK. But after it sits, it's hard to start again.

The guy at the local Firestone dealership said he thought it was a fuel pump and I'm a bit skeptical. Any ideas?? Fuel pressure regulator? Leaky injector (relieving pressure)? Help..!!!

- Jon

Reply to
Jon Miller

Just thought I'd mention that I just had it tuned (it was doing it before the tune up) and the fuel filter has recently been changed.

Reply to
Jon Miller

I don't know cause I guess a lot. However, I read that when the fuel pump relay is bad, it won't start until it gets oil pressure. When the truck is cold, put your ear close to the gas tank, have a friend turn the key to "on." If you hear the pump running without cranking, it ain't the relay. Just my 02. . . .

Reply to
George

Did that and, yes, the fuel pump does come on for the 2 seconds it's supposed to. Any other ideas..??

- Jon

Reply to
Jon Miller

Well, I don't have another guess. I doubt its a leaky injector but anything is possible. It seems likely that its in the circuit that acts like the automatic choke. In the old days a sticky choke caused lots of problems. In newer cars, I don't know how they start when cold. I guess you need one of the true wizards to respond to your post.

Reply to
George