Hazards

The truck: '95 Chevy S-10, no cruise, with an airbag

Hello all, I got myself into a pickle and need a little help reading a wire diagram. I, in my infinite wisdom, broke the actual hazard switch on my steering column while removing the trim pieces around the instrument panel. Now, my switch is stuck in the on position and I have 24 hour hazard lamps (or at least until I pull the fuse). It appears I can't hold the switch in the off position and pulling the fuse happens to ax the brake lights as well. Pulling the emergency flasher seems to kill all the turn signals entirely.

So, I need a temporary fix until I have time to deal with the matter properly. The going theory was I could snip a lead under the steering column/dash area that would disable the hazards, but not turn signals or brake lamps. I'm not sure if this is possible, or if sniping any of the wires might bring the entire lighting system down with it. A can't seem to make heads or tails of the wiring diagram I have in the Haynes manual, and was wondering if someone might be willing to take a look and tell what wire might deactivate the switch. I'm thinking the purple wire running to the flasher is my best bet, but I'm really having a hard time deciphering this chart. Any other temporary suggestions would be extremely appreciated as well. I'm not trying to take the easy way out, I just need something to get me down the road until I have time to tear it apart and do it right. Thanks.

Reply to
RLB294

Hi!

If the stem of the switch broke, which is much more likely to happen, you might try using a nonconductive object to press downward on the switch.

It just might work...and you don't want to be cutting wires if you don't have to.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

I did try that. I can get the lights to shut off but I still can't get the switch to lock in the off position.

Reply to
RLB294

If you're truly desperate you can do what I did with the power button on my radio - superglue. Actually if it will stay in with a tiny dab, you can break that loose when it's time to actually dismantle and fix it. "Tiny" would be the operative word here...

Reply to
Cricket

Reply to
Bobo