Head Rebuild

Could anyone give me an idea how much a machine shop charges to test a pair of heads? Also, how much to rebuild?

Thanks, Kyle

Reply to
KB

You just talkin' magnaflux on the heads to see of they're cracked? Also, for the price of a rebuild, dump the pre-vortec heads and grab some cast iron vortec heads. currently $289.99 each @ Jegs; supposed to be good for

20-25 hp over the pre-vortec heads.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I got a local shop (Fayetteville, NC) that will do a set of SBC heads for $150...parts NOT included. That is only for the teardown, grinding seats and valves, measuring spring height, hot dipped, and plane surfaced (not milled). He even checks for the visible cracks or defects, but magnafluxing for the smaller stuff is extra.

Shop around. Pick up the phone book and see what different places will do for the money.

Good luck

John

Reply to
eightupman

Doc,

GMpartsdirect.com (p/n 12558060)has a pair of them for $563.09 shipped. I'm sure

would be similar, but you have to email them. if I had an extra $1000 I'd have them on my truck in a heartbeat.

-Bret

BTW, how is the El Camino coming along?

Reply to
Bret Chase

Thanks, everyone. I've thought about the Vortec heads, but will my stock intake mainfold bolt up?

Kyle

Reply to
KB

nope.... edelbrock makes manifolds for carbs and GMPP makes one for TBI motors and carbs. the Vortec heads have an 8 bolt mounting pattern and the

55-95's have a 12 bolt pattern.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase