Heater hose question

On my 95 GMC Sierra there was a hose coming out of the firewall that went into my waterpump with some type of quick release type fitting that was leaking so I removed the quick release by cutting it off the hose and connected the end of the hose to the radiator at the top where there was a rubber plug installed. I also installed a metal plug in the water pump where the quick release was. This seems to be working fine and my brothers 92 GM with the same 5.7 motor is set up like this from the factory. My question is Why was my truck set up like like this? & Will I hurt anything by changing this setup the way I did? Thanks, Philip Wolf

Reply to
PW

"PW2" wrote: > On my 95 GMC Sierra there was a hose coming out of the > firewall that > went into my waterpump with some type of quick release type > fitting that > was leaking so I removed > the quick release by cutting it off the hose and connected the > end of > the hose to the radiator at the top where there was a rubber > plug > installed. I also installed a metal plug > in the water pump where the quick release was. This seems to > be working > fine and my > brothers 92 GM with the same 5.7 motor is set up like this > from the > factory. My question is Why was my truck set up like like > this? & Will I > hurt anything by changing > this setup the way I did? > Thanks, Philip Wolf

The new setup is better because while bypassing the water thru heater core and returning to tank it also cools the tranny cooler in tank to minimize the freak chance of a tranny over heat in cold weather because radiator starts to cool. GM switch over to this setup in early

80?s as I recall. I suspect that someone modded your truck the way you found it. Hooked to the water pump the way you found it mght heat up a bit quicker in very cold weather but thats about it.
Reply to
SnoMan

It was a stock setup. GM used/uses both ways of plumbing the heater return line. It only makes a difference "if you think it makes a difference".

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai