Help 98 truck

I have a 98 V8 454 Chevy truck and the check engine light is on. I got a code reader. It shows a code PO171, system too lean , bank 1. Does anyone I any ideas what it could be?

Thank you for your help, Robin

Reply to
Robin & Sharon

GOOGLE RESULTS

What does that mean?

Basically this means that an oxygen sensor in bank 1 detected a lean condition (too much oxygen in the exhaust). On V6/V8/V10 engines, Bank

1 is the side of the engine that has cylinder #1.

Note: This DTC is very similar to P0174, and in fact your vehicle may show both codes at the same time. Symptoms

You will more than likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms such as a lack of power, detonation (spark knock), and/or a hesitation/surge on acceleration. Causes

A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

  • The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters (K&N, etc.) can cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled * There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor.

Possible Solutions

Possible solutions include:

  • In the vast majority of cases, simply cleaning the MAF sensor does the trick. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling * Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary * Check for a dirty fuel filter and proper fuel pressure

----------------------------------------------------- users trucks from this group listed below

Michael McNeil