Help needed with 350 Chevy ID

Hi,

I have a 1972 Chevy truck with what I was told was a 350 Chevy engine in it. The only ID number if you want to call it that on the engine that I could find was stamped on a pad on the front passenger side just behind the alternator and that is:

LOBDILL

I can't tell if that's a zero or an O and if that's an I or a 1. What I typed above is exactly how it looks on the engine however.

Does anyone have any idea what this engine is? It's not original since this was a 6-cyl truck. Also, are there any other areas I could look for another number or ID of some kind?

Thanks for any and all help!

Reply to
Splock

The "IL" hints that it could be a 1969 350 block originally with a 2 barrel carb. But this is a guess on my part because the first letter should point to the plant that manufactured it and L doesnt line up to any plants F=Flint,Mi 68-75 T=Tonawanda (NY) F=Flint Motor Facility '67 K=McKinnon Industries(St Catherines Ontario) F=Flint Motor Facility M=G.M. of Mexico K=McKinnon Industries S= Saginaw Service T=Tonawanda N.Y. T=Tonawanda N.Y. V=Flint Engine Plant V=Flint Engine Plant

Then there should be 4 numbers that give the month and day of manufacture followed by letters that are the engine suffix, ie what engine it is

The casting number is going to be needed, its on the back side of the block, drivers side adjacent to the bell housing.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning