Help! - Speedometer gear - '64 Chev 10

I had a speedometer cable snap some time ago. When I finally got in the charitable mood to install a new one, it turns out I should have gone golfing instead...

292 CI six, 3-speed manual, with an after-market floor shift bracket partially blocking access. When I removed the trans end of the cable housing, the plastic/nylon gear decided to go for a swim, toppling back into the trans. I can touch it with my finger, but not enough to move it. I spent ten minutes fishing around with a piece of wire, to no avail, but I haven't completely abandoned the idea, versus the alternative.

Has anyone ever had this happen, then manage to extract it without pulling the trans?

Unc

Reply to
uncle k

Why not remove the four easily accessible bolts that hold the tail shaft on and then slide the tail shaft off?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning