Help! Truck dead on road, won't start

I have a 1997 Ext. cab short bed K1500. I was on my way to work when I went to accelerate slightly to maintain speed and got no response. I tried again and looked at the rpm gauge when showed a slight decrease in rpms when I pushed on the accelerator. I was going about 40mph. If I let up, it went back up 100-200 rpms or so. I pushed again and got the same problem. I pulled off onto a side road, not slowing too much and kept playing with it. In the end, I pushed more into the accelerator to get it to jump....and the engine died. I glided to a stop off the side of a dead-end road.

I tried to start it for a a few minutes off and on. It kicked over just fine, but wouldn't start. A few times it would sputter with 3-400rpms for about 2 seconds, then die. But after that, it wouldn't do a thing. I would crank it, but no firing. Again, it was turning over fine.

A look at the guages before it died showed everything fine on the oil pressue, voltmeter, water temp, etc. I had no check engine light on. I replaced the alternator earlier this year. And as I said, the battery was fine as I was able to try to start it for several minutes, a few seconds at a time.

I also replaced the fuel pump a couple years ago due to the fuel line fittings rusting through on the sending unit at the tank. Also replaced the fuel filter at that same time (probably less than 10-15k miles since then).

So any clues? Ignition or fuel delivery I guess. Any thing I can check? In all the years I've owned this (since 1999) I've done all the work myself. But I've never been stranded on the side of the road in the middle of the week! I hate the thought of towing it to a dealer, but I need to figure this out quick. I had a buddy take me to work; its still sitting there... Could it again be the fuel pump?

Thanks,

Reply to
Gunn

89GMC