HELP! When do I plug in my truck in winter???

Threaded View

We moved from Florida to NE Washington state and this is my first REAL
winter.  I own a '07 Chevy 2500 silverado diesel truck.  As hubby
recently passed away, I'm trying to learn whatever I can about
it...especially what I need to do in cold weather.  I've been unable
to find the diesel supplement but have requested another.

Question:  When do I plug in the cord.  I'm retired and don't use the
truck everyday.  Yet, when I want to use it, it's often a spur of the
moment thing.  Do I need to plug it in 4 hours before using?  Would it
be a problem if I just left it plugged in for days at a time?  Before
reading the owner's manual, I hadn't even realized that I was supposed
to plug it in and I've been using it with no starting problems.  Might
this have hurt the engine??

Appreciate any information and suggestions.  Thanks!

Sandy

Re: HELP! When do I plug in my truck in winter???

It is just a block heater to keep the temp up to ease starting. You
can leave it plugged in at all times. I am not sure what temperature
it maintains, but I would at least run it until you get into warmer
temperatures. There should be no harm done to the engine, This is not
a real cold climate you are in.

Re: HELP! When do I plug in my truck in winter???

It is just a block heater to keep the temp up to ease starting. You
can leave it plugged in at all times.

** Just remember to unplug it before driving off :)

 I am not sure what temperature
it maintains, but I would at least run it until you get into warmer
temperatures. There should be no harm done to the engine, This is not
a real cold climate you are in.

**  Not sure why this message is not quoting correctly, so my comments are
marked with **

John

Re: HELP! When do I plug in my truck in winter???

I have a 2004 Duramax, I've went through 4 winters now without plugging my
truck in. I even started it in 0 to -5 degree days without any problem. Just
go out and turn on the switch wait for the symbol that looks like a coil to
go out and crank it over it should start right away. If it doesn't start
turn off the switch and try it again repeating what I described above. If
you are having problems with it starting, your glow plugs might not be
working. My glow plug controller went out earlier this year and my truck
would not start when it got down to 10 degrees. Plugging it in is O.K. but
leaving it plugged in for several days may get a little expensive on the
electric bill.

Doug

Re: HELP! When do I plug in my truck in winter???

The manual for my '06 (I think it's the same engine as yours - an "LBZ")
says to use it for 4 hours before starting when the temperatures drops to 0F
or colder.  I've read several instances of people not using it down to -20F
without any problem.  For spur of the moment type of driving, I probably
wouldn't use it.  Like Doug Adams mentioned, turn the ignition key to on,
wait for the glow plug indicator light (looks like a curly-que or spring) on
the dash to go off, then start the engine.  I usually let it idle for a
minute or two, then drive with a light foot on the accelerator until the
temperature guage starts to move (usually about 2-3 miles at 30-40 MPH when
it's around 30F-50F), after that it warms up to the normal operating
temperature quickly.

I doubt you have harmed your engine by not using the block heater.  Just be
sure not to press down on the accelerator too hard while the engine is cold,
about the worst thing you can do to a diesel engine is give it too much fuel
while the engine is cold.

The only draw backs I see to leaving it plugged in all the time is the hit
on your electric bill and maybe the block heater only lasts for a certain
number of hours before it wears out, therefore using it when you don't need
it may shorten it's service life.

Site Timeline