Higher stall, late model truck.

(also posted in the 4x4 chevy group)

Anyone out here running a higher stall in their late model truck?

I'm looking to put in a Yank 2600, or a 3000. I'm having a heck of a time deciding on which one.

It'll be going in my '04 Silverado SS. Mods this year will only include a cat back, the converter, and a mild cam (under 220/220 duration). Next season will probably bring headers and possibly a shot of nitrous.

I'm looking to have a healthy street-strip truck, that can do everything it did stock - just as well, if not better.

Everyone I talk to recommends the 3K, but most of them are ET-driven. I need to hear from someone more on the street side of things.

The evil side of me wants the 3000 to take advantage of the AWD, and pull regular RWD's out of the hole.

The conservative side reminds me that I'll do a bit of moderate weight towing (5,000lbs), and I don't want a loose feeling truck with a loud exhaust, around town.

Can I get some thoughs on this?

Thanks,

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

Marc,

Call the converter manufacturer and ask how much heat it will generate and what's going to happen to your gas mileage.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Al,

I was told that heat is not bad. They recommend an aftermarket tranny cooler for stalls over 3500.

The gas mileage will suffere a bit in town, but over 35mph or so they lock up just like the factory converter.

Most of the people I talk to say the 2600 is VERY tame. While the

3000 takes some getting used to. A few 2600 owners said low speed driveability and towing was greatly improved, while the 3000 owners said it was rather borderline with heavy loads.

I found a good private sale on a 2600, so I'm gonna give that one a whirl.

Thanks,

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind