Honey Coloured Oil in Diesel

Hello All,

My brother in Sydney drives a 2004 Land Cruiser with a V-8 turbo-diesel that has logged over 65,000 kms. I was totally SHOCKED to see the crankcase oil still honey-colored when we it drained for an oil change. My 1998 Tahoe 6.5TD's oil is black 100 miles after an oil change, then again, it's logged

165,000 miles. What do the Toyota TDs have that US diesel engines do not?

Franko

Reply to
Franko

QUALITY

Reply to
no one

Tighter tolerances and less blowby and better fuel quality too (less sulpher)

Reply to
SnoMan

Gee whiz how about that, the diesel fuel that comes out of the pump for the toy is different then comes out of it when its pumped into a chevy or ford or dodge. Gee what will they think of next.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Before anyone starts spouting off about "quality" or anything else, the oil in my '04 Duramax comes out every 5000 miles looking honey colored as well, and I just hit 30,000 miles on the motor. However, I could change the oil in my old '95 6.5L turbo diesel, drive it around the block and it would be pitch black again. Why? Tighter tolerances might be the answer, but the cause is the higher compression ratio. The compression ratio in my 6.5L diesel was around 21:1, but more modern diesels are in the neighborhood of

15 or 16:1. The 6.5's had one of the highest compression ratios for any light duty diesel in automotive use, mostly because it was smaller than the competition, had indirect injection and didn't have an intercooler - so it had to make up the difference somewhere.

In addition, the newer fuel injection systems like the common rail design in my Duramax give a more complete burn of the fuel with less soot to make its way into the motor oil. Before I finally traded my 6.5L in on my current truck, I was using a can of Restore oil additive at every oil change and was beginning to notice a gradual improvement in oil appearance (which I did every 3,000 miles on that truck).

The diesel market is now very competative in the US, but somehow I notice that Toyota (among many other asian brands) just don't play here. You really got to ask yourself why not. You only need three things to enter this market - a full-sized truck, competitive numbers from your motor and tranny, and be able to meet the current emission standards. Don't try to tell me that this market segment is too small to be of any interest to them, the number of diesels in light duty trucks has skyrocketed in the past several years and the profit margin for the company is quite large per vehicle.

My only regret with US manufacturers is that they don't offer more smaller diesels in their half-ton and compact trucks and SUV's. You don't need a Duramax V-8 in the Colorado or Trailblazer, but a smaller 4- or 5-cylinder diesel with decent power and good gas mileage would be fantastic. Personally, I think they would be great sellers.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

I always wondered why GM didnt make use of the 4 cyl diesel in the Isuzu tilt master. I've rented them a number of times and was always amazed at the power and fuel mileage. And in the 70's during the first gbas shortage one of the hottest conversions was a 3 cyl detroit into 1/2 ton trucks. Everyone knows Oldsmobiles failed 5.7, but they also had a 4.3 V-6 they used in the Cutlass Ciera that was a good engine. what happened to that one? One of the top 10 stupidest things GM ever did was to spin off Detroit into DDC, which got bought by Mercedes in 2000.

There is another factor to consider as well and that is the maintanence needs. You can cut cornors on a gas engine, but a diesel will bite you hard if you do it to it. Someone who buys a bigger truck, pulling heavy trailers or using it for work will probably take better care of it then joe "I wanna car looks like a truck" will. and the manufactures may be taking that into consideration.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

If Sydney is austrialia, they have much lower sulpher in there fuel down there. As a matter of fact, it the name of profit for oil companies, the US has some of the porest quail diesl fuel in the world for major economic countries. ALso "Yota" does use tigher clearances than GM does because they can take more time to get it right (because labors costs are not out of site that they are trying to cut corners every where) so there is less blow by to contaminate oil in engine and they may be running lower boost as well which means lower cylinder pressures and less leakage as well. A GM Dma use between 22 and 25 PSI or boost at full power in stock form and you are going to have some blowby verses a tighter lower boost engine. Thast is the reason detriot desiel vehcial have large oil capacities because if the did not the oil would be dirty in a short period of time. Not all of the extra oil is actually needed to properly lube engine, only to extend change intervals.

Reply to
SnoMan

A freind of mine bought a 05 Dmax and he tows with it and the oil is black after less than 1000 miles after change.

Reply to
SnoMan

GM did small diesels in the late 70's and 80's. FWD cars with a 4.3 Deisel. RWD full side cars with a 5.7 olds '350' deisel (uses a hevy duty version of the olds 350 crank). There were 1.8 Deisel Chevettes, and very few, but out there 2.2 Deisel S-10's.

VW sold Diesel Rabbits and Rabbit Veriations. Toyota offered a Diesel in the Tercel for a year (I beleave 1980), and has offered Diesel pick ups on and off for a while. Some of those U-haul Toyota Dual Rear Wheel Trucks are Deisel.

Toyota Still sells Deisel Forklifts in the US, as well as Gasoline, propain, and Battery powered forklifts. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

You dont even need a Duramax in larger trucks :) I also never really understood the giant gas (or diesel) guzzler US cars, even though I have a 96 GMC Yukon (5.7 V-8 ). I also own a 2001 Renault Mascott (see pic). Believe it or not, this truck has a V-4 2.8 DCi engine, which produces 140HP. And that is enough to haul 5500 kg of weight. I was towing my GMC with it a few days ago (cuz the driveshaft broke) and it had absolutely no problem with it. Top speed is 130Km/h (about 95Mph) and the fuel consumption is about 12l/100km (22Mpg) and can get down to about 8l/100 on long routes, the GMC takes twice as much. Btw - these 2.8 DCi motors should last at least 350thous. miles, provided that they are well taken care of.

Fusion

Me too, I rented one many years ago for a cross country move from Budget. My combined weight was about 18K (cargo and tow dolly with a car) and that little 4cyl did a creditable job. I was able to amintain

60 to 65 with it on reasonable flat ground and I dropped down to 45 mph in the I-80 pass near Laramie Wyo. Averaged about 14MPG as a recall.
Reply to
SnoMan

The break-in period must also be considered -- it is so critical for maintaining the tight tolerances. I remember breaking-in my brother-in-law's '86 5.7L Suburban following the manual to the letter (speeding up, slowing down, not exceeding a certain speed, etc.). That 'burb hardly used any oil between oil changes and it was honey-colored as well as it came out.

offer more smaller

You don't need a

smaller 4- or 5-cylinder

fantastic.

diesel in the Isuzu

at the power and

hottest

4.3 V-6 they used

that one?

off Detroit into

the maintanence

hard if you do it to

for work will

and the manufactures

Reply to
Franko

But they're talking about diesels.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Hi !

I live and work in France, and at work I use several renault truck with the 2L8 engine.( Who is a slant4 and not a V4 )This engine is a Iveco product and is used in several cars and trucks : renault master/mascott , Iveco dailly , Santana ps-10, bremach etc ...

I agree your fuel consumption 12L/100 >> 19,6 MPG not 22 with a plane road and a low towing weight .

but sorry I don't agree your mileage capacity ! If you want go to 350000 miles with a renault/iveco engine, you will have to change at least 4 turbos, 3 cylinders head gasket , 2 cylinders head, 12 rods and cylinders ! :-)) and I don't talk about the gear box, the rearend etc .....

Mine have 140kmiles and we change 1 turbo , 2 fuel pump, 2 cylinders head gasket.... and I'm not a crasy driver .. All others 2L8 we use at work have the same problems .

To obtain a long life you need a low engine speed : at 95 mph your 2L8 should turn at more than 3600 rpm ! for the same speed (for example ) a Suburban V8 5L7 turn only at 1800 rpm ..

European cars are disposable toys, please don't compare them with the greats Us ones..

David .

Reply to
david

So Franko, the original poster, is flying all the way to Austrialia to change the oil in his brothers Toy, and then back to the USA to change the oil in his

1998 Tahoe. Now I understand the fuel difference coming into play.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Diesel need to break in too and pushing them too hard to soon can result in rings not seating properly.

Reply to
SnoMan

THis is debatable because if you lug a engine too much relative to its load you will not extend its life. Also there is no suburban anywhere that is going to do 95 mph at 1800 RPM with a 5.7 in it.

Reply to
SnoMan

"" wrote: > Hi ! > > > I also own a 2001 Renault Mascott (see pic). Believe it or > not, this > > truck has a V-4 2.8 DCi engine, which produces 140HP. And > that is > > enough to haul 5500 kg of weight. I was towing my GMC with > it a few > > days ago (cuz the driveshaft broke) and it had absolutely > no problem > > with it. Top speed is 130Km/h (about 95Mph) and the fuel > consumption > > is about 12l/100km (22Mpg) and can get down to about 8l/100 > on long > > routes, the GMC takes twice as much. Btw - these 2.8 DCi > motors > should last at least 350thous. miles, > > provided that they are well taken care of. > > > I live and work in France, and at work I use several renault > truck with > the 2L8 engine.( Who is a slant4 and not a V4 )This engine is > a Iveco > product and is used in several cars and trucks : renault > master/mascott > , Iveco dailly , Santana ps-10, bremach etc ... > > I agree your fuel consumption 12L/100 >> 19,6 MPG not 22 with > a plane > road and a low towing weight . > > but sorry I don't agree your mileage capacity ! > If you want go to 350000 miles with a renault/iveco engine, > you will > have to change at least 4 turbos, 3 cylinders head gasket , 2 > cylinders > head, 12 rods and cylinders ! :-)) > and I don't talk about the gear box, the rearend etc ..... > > Mine have 140kmiles and we change 1 turbo , 2 fuel pump, 2 > cylinders > head gasket.... and I'm not a crasy driver .. > All others 2L8 we use at work have the same problems . > > > To obtain a long life you need a low engine speed : at 95 mph > your 2L8 > should turn at more than 3600 rpm ! for the same speed (for > example ) a > Suburban V8 5L7 turn only at 1800 rpm .. > > European cars are disposable toys, please don't compare them > with the > greats Us ones.. > > > David .

David:

95Mph (cca 130kmh) in the 2L8 doesn?t turn at 3600. As you probably know, it?s a six speed manual, and I think that 130 should be at about 3000. Also, the 5.7L (atleast in the Yukon) probably won?t be so low at 130. I?d guess 2200-2500. But I can check on both if needed.
Reply to
Fusion

Hey, Whitelightning,

Yeah, but I charge them enough for my services... You want anything from down unda'? I'll be there around April'05 for a wedding and some pig hunting (not at the wedding, that is).

My other kid brother's got a relatively new Nissan TD in-line six and a bro-in-law's got an older Nissan NA diesel in-line six -- I'll check theirs out, too. My sis has got a

2000 Land Cruiser NA diesel in-line six and the oil in that one isn't honey-colored anymore, but it sure ain't as black as my Tahoe's.

I might try some of that Restore stuff and see if it'll improve the blow-by. Dang! (translates to "Bloody Hell!") I'm really piqued by this honey-colored oil situation...

Regards, Franko

there fuel

for oil

fuel in the world

tigher clearances

right (because

cut corners

in engine and

lower cylinder

22 and 25 PSI

to have some

reason

if the did

Not all of the

only to extend

Austrialia to

change the oil in his

play.

Reply to
Franko

Hello SnoMan and Jonathan,

How much longer a break-in period do diesels need than gassers? I've heard people say 100,000 miles and the diesel is "only breaking in" but, realistically, how long? Also, are the break-in procedures different?

Regards, Franko

,

remember

not

used

well

soon can

standards

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Reportabuse:

Franko