Hood Lock

What are some good ways to deter a thief from opening your hood and smashing the alarm speaker?

I thought about just removing the hood release handle from inside and putting it in my tool box. I found some hood locks online but figure there must be a simple way to do it.

2000 Ext. cab PU
Reply to
James Del Mul

Have you tried locking the doors? My hood latch isn't very easy to pull if the doors are locked.

Reply to
George

When you bust out the window and the alarm goes off all you have to do is pop the hood and smash the alarm. Just trying to make it a little bit harder.

Reply to
James Del Mul

. . =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (James=A0Del=A0Mul) What are some good ways to deter a thief from opening your hood and smashing the alarm speaker?

I thought about just removing the hood release handle from inside and putting it in my tool box. I found some hood locks online but figure there must be a simple way to do it.

2000 Ext. cab PU

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Move the speaker from under the hood.

Have a remote latch installed and disable the interior release handle.

Install some of those "gag ugly" hood pins and stick a couple pad locks in them.

Go to WallyMart and buy yerself a few rat traps. Then....jest where the trap arm falls...bore you a hole in each one big enough to ..............

hmmmmm............

no .....

on second thought...forget that one....it's a bit of an overkill for yer situation.

how bout this one..... Contact your insurance agent and have your policy reflect the value of you're vehical and it's custom features, and then get a good night sleep for a change.

jest my thoughts. ~:~ MarshMonster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

//////// snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (James=A0Del=A0Mul) wrote: What are some good ways to deter a thief from opening your hood and smashing the alarm speaker?

I thought about just removing the hood release handle from inside and putting it in my tool box.

I found some hood locks online but figure there must be a simple way to do it.

2000 Ext. cab PU =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Move the speaker from under the hood.

Have a remote latch installed and disable the interior release handle.

Install some of those "gag ugly" hood pins and stick a couple pad locks in them.

Go to WallyMart and buy yerself a few rat traps. Then....jest where the trap arm falls...bore you a hole in each one big enough to .............

hmmmmm............

no ..... on second thought...forget that one....it's a bit of an overkill for yer situation.

how bout this one..... =A0=A0=A0Contact your insurance agent and have your policy reflect the value of you're vehical and it's custom features, and then get a good night sleep for a change. jest my thoughts. ~:~ MarshMonster ~:~ ////////////////////////////// You were gonna tell him how to make homemade claymores!

I would've thought you'de learned yer lesson about those shotgun shells and rat traps by now.

Scrib Abell

~in an emergency,boogers make an exellent adhesive when allowed to dry thoroughly~

Reply to
Scribb Able

I saw a Porshe at a car show once that had a microwave oven transmitter in the dash that was hooked to the alarm. The owner said it would cook the thiefs retinas as he drove it away. (I dont recomend this BTW) :) I would recomend mounting a second siren inside the vehicle if you are really worried about it. Also run the light flasher and sirens off of relays and fuse them seperatly from the alarm.

Reply to
Scott M

Marsh, don't you hate when your talking to yourself and you say something and later you think of something better you could have said to yourself?

:-)

GMC Gremlin

2000 Ext. cab PU ========= ========= Move the speaker from under the hood.

Have a remote latch installed and disable the interior release handle.

Install some of those "gag ugly" hood pins and stick a couple pad locks in them.

Go to WallyMart and buy yerself a few rat traps. Then....jest where the trap arm falls...bore you a hole in each one big enough to .............

hmmmmm............

no ..... on second thought...forget that one....it's a bit of an overkill for yer situation.

how bout this one..... Contact your insurance agent and have your policy reflect the value of you're vehical and it's custom features, and then get a good night sleep for a change. jest my thoughts. ~:~ MarshMonster ~:~ ////////////////////////////// You were gonna tell him how to make homemade claymores!

I would've thought you'de learned yer lesson about those shotgun shells and rat traps by now.

Scrib Abell

~in an emergency,boogers make an exellent adhesive when allowed to dry thoroughly~

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Reply to
Richard Brandstetter

Realize no matter what you do, someone who wants your truck will steal it. Realize, there is no reason you can't get into a hood if you don't know where the release is. Realize, locks only keep out honest people. Point in fact: I let my girlfriend borrow my 1990 GMC F/S Jimmy. It is similar to a Jeep in the fact that it has a removable hard top. I also have an after-market soft top on it. She locked the keys in the truck, and called me asking what I should do about it. I asked her what she thought she should do, and she started babbling about spare keys. I suggested unsnapping the top and unlocking the door. Then I said that it was supposed to rain tonight, and I can't roll up her windows because the doors are locked. When she got home the promptly looked at her car and mentioned that the windows weren't down. :-)

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

That is the problem. I just want to make someone else's car easier to steal then mine. Nothing is "proof" theft, damage, or the like. But you can make it harder then leaving the keys in the visor.

Reply to
James Del Mul

if your honestly having a problem with that happening? You either have the baddest ass 2000 ex-cab pu in the world or ya ticked someone off that keeps coming back. No disrespect meant here. I don't know of any way to avoid such a problem unless you move your Alarm Siren to a more difficult place to reach for smashing...

Have a Great One ! Bob :)

Reply to
Bob Perkins JustaBenz

back in the late 60's, we had a rash of 8-track stereo thefts from cars at the electronics school I attended

this was when 'installing' was putting a bracket under the dash with a pair of # 8 (# 10 if you were obsessive about it) sheet metal screws and then the player hooked to the bracket with a pair of wing-nut type bolts

replacing the wing-nut bolts with machine screws didn't work, the theives would reach under the dash, grab the rear of the stereo, and yank bracket and all off

one night I arrived home to find my roomie soldering on the back of the newest stereo ( # 6 or 7) and muttering something about 'deterents'

about 4 AM, we were awakened by cop-cars and ambulances.........he had soldered a bunch of slivers from razor blades to the back of the case............the perp's screams woke up the neighborhood, cops saw the bloody trail and found him a couple streets over

Reply to
TranSurgeon

How is he supposed to know that your's is harder to steal? Once he decides, it's either smash and grab or smash & run. Bout the only way that would work is if you left a big mean dog in the bed of your truck.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

I hope he told the person who bought the truck off him!

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Very common deterrent for fender skirts years ago. Few razor blades under the lip where the release lever was and......

Al

Reply to
Big Al

TransSurgeon wrote: back in the late 60's, we had a rash of 8-track stereo thefts from cars at the electronics school I attended this was when 'installing' was putting a bracket under the dash with a pair of # 8 (# 10 if you were obsessive about it) sheet metal screws and then the player hooked to the bracket with a pair of wing-nut type bolts replacing the wing-nut bolts with machine screws didn't work, the theives would reach under the dash, grab the rear of the stereo, and yank bracket and all off one night I arrived home to find my roomie soldering on the back of the newest stereo ( # 6 or 7) and muttering something about 'deterents' about 4 AM, we were awakened by cop-cars and ambulances.........he had soldered a bunch of slivers from razor blades to the back of the case............the perp's screams woke up the neighborhood, cops saw the bloody trail and found him a couple streets over

My Dad had a buddy that kept getting his Dodge Ram hood ornament stolen. so he did the same thing with razors under the Ram horns. well a kid came by to steal it and I think he lost finger or two when giving it yank. well it came down to Dad's buddy getting fined and I can't remember what else. but there was a law stating something about and usafe object on the vehicle. For God sake the kid was trying rob him.... Have a Great One ! Bob :)

Reply to
Bob Perkins JustaBenz