How do I determine transmission make & model - in a 1988 C1500 pickup?

I am trying to determine the "exact" make & model of the 5 speed manual transmission that originally came in our grandson's old 1988 Chevrolet C1500.

Here is all the data that I have: Make = Chevrolet - 2 wheel drive pickup Model = C1500 Engine Size = 4.3L - 6 Cylinders Transmission= 5 speed manual with OD VIN# = 1GCDC14Z1JZ320562

If anyone knows how to determine the manufacturer of this transmission & it's model number, please email it to me at: snipped-for-privacy@thegateway.net

It would also be great to find a list of autos that GMC (or others) shipped with "this" transmission installed. That is, "What autos can I remove a transmission and install it our1988 C1500 & have it fit properly?"

I can take some photos of the transmission (still in the truck) & email them to you if that will help.

THANKS, Gene

Reply to
Gene

I just phoned up GM's 1-800 number and gave them my VIN and they told me what tranny it originally came with and informed me that my 88 was under recall for the front lower ball joints and bad A frames they sit in and to call a dealer to make an appointment for a free fix.

Oh, Chevrolet does not make a C1500 according to the NHTS site....

GMC makes one though.

Mike

Gene wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Hey, Mike, didn't Chevy make 2 models in 88--IIRC, that's the year that early models were like the '87, and mid-year or so, they went to the new (and some say, not quite so pretty) body style? Just "seems like" I recall that idiosyncrasy. We may now ask "So what difference does all this make?" My answer: "Nothing--just wanted to tell the ONE THING I think I remember"!!! Have a good 'un! s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Mike, I'd sure like to know that ph. no. I know I could do an internet search, but you're right here. I've got a question for them on a '99 Olds.

Thanks, Garrett Fulton

Reply to
gfulton

Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-222-1020. Customer Relationship Managers are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to

11:00 p.m., Eastern Time.

Gene

Reply to
Gene
800 numbers are actually local and I am in central Canada. I just looked them up in the phone book....

Mike

gfult>

Reply to
Mike Romain