How make PU spare tire holder?

1980 Ford ¾ ton pick-up

Does anybody have any recommendations how to make a spare tire holder? I've given up finding one at the junk yards, and I don't like the in-the-bed or on-the-grill solutions. I want it under the bed behind the differential, where it's supposed to be.

I'd like to be able to access it relatively quickly (a hinged holder perhaps?), because if I do get a flat, it may not happen where there's a nice shoulder.

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

All of the uder-bed holders I've seen involve some sort of winch. Ford has an absolutely horrible design - a greased cable that picks up all sorts of dirt, kinks, and generally is good for one tire change in adverse conditions. You're lucky if the thing winds back up after changing a tire.

Datsun (now Nissan) used to have an open chain winch on their 1980s vintage trucks that was the best. Never jammed, never failed. See if you can find one of those.

--Kamus

Reply to
Kamus of Kadizhar

Reply to
George

- George -

- Nehmo - I only have one gas tank, which is on the side bottom. I have the space.

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

the

behind the

holder

changing a tire.

1980s

Same with '80s Toyotas. With either one you'll still have to figure a way to have a hole avalable for the jack crank to get to the winch thingy.

You may want to look at older 4WD "little" Ranger PU's . Mine has a hinged "dropdown" spare carrier that looks like it was OEM ford.

I wish I knew what year this was ( mine's "just a trailer" made out of the bed/frame/axle of a 83-86 ? pickup that I drag behind my Bronco II) .

But I'm curious as to "why" you'd want your spare back and under the bed. It's fine if you have a flat on the freeway / no major load/ no tow behind.

You'll curse and beat yourself to death if you have a flat in a mudhole with a heavy load and/or a tow behind . "Been dere-dun dat" !!

Reply to
R. Asby Dragon
1996 Ranger 2wd still had that style, hinged "dropdown" spare carrier.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

Got a '92 Ranger that has this setup. Works real sweet. On pavement. Would hate to have to access the spare in any of the numerous places "out back of beyond" that I have gotten myself into over the years. My daily (and weekend fun) ride is a '92 Dodge with the Cummins, and for the approx. 50 weeks a year that I am pavement bound more often than not, I use a front carrier. When I do get serious about being in the rougher stuff, I take it down and toss it into the bed with all my camping/hunting gear. Underneath all the fragile stuff :-) This puts it into a place that, if I have to get at it, there is no worries about being axle deep in a bog. Really did happen to me once in Wyoming. Was cruising down an old logging road, and just after I entered a boggy little park I ran over a tree branch that was stuck into the mud. Never would have gotten the tire out from underneath the bed of the truck. Had enough fun digging out the mud to change the tire and then get out of there. Plain forget about jacking the rig up. And all of this happened at 8500' elevation. Wahoo!

Reply to
Bob

Why not? Every dual tank ford I've ever seen came with a spare under the back.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Bob

- Nehmo ? That's the problem with the spare tire placement: it should be readily accessible, but you should only rarely have to use it. The requirements are almost contradictory.

In the bed: Some cargo makes it difficult to access. Takes up payload space.

Front of the grill: Adds to length of vehicle, which is already hard to park. Blocks air to the radiator. Interferes with bumper.

On top of the cab: Wind resistance. Adds to top-heavy balance.

On the back of the tailgate: Adds to length. Adds to tailgate weight. Interferes with bumper.

Under the bed in back (factory position): Access may be a problem.

I'm thinking about an under-the-bed cone and winch system, but just using a ratcheting nylon strap for the winch. I'll also have a couple of linked chains for safety in case the ratchet mechanism fails.

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

That's why I liked the old stepside with sidemount on my '57 Fargo Custom express. Readily available enywhere you might possibly need it, and out of the way.

Reply to
clare