How to hook up sirius raido

Can I hook up Sirius sat radio directly into my 05 Silverado? I know they offer XM in it, so is there a plug or something somewhere? Thanks.

Reply to
Hammbone

Greetings,

If you want to directly connect your satellite radio into your truck's stereo you will have to use a plug that connects to the back of the stereo and provides you with one or two sets of RCA input jacks. Look for a device called "Aux2Car" or something similar, or you can go to

and look at their selection of input adapters. These adapters can be used for any brand of satellite radio as long as it has an audio out jack, or MP3 player, portable DVD player, etc. that has a headphone jack.

If you install an adapter, you will then need to use an audio cable that goes from the audio out port on your satallite radio and converts to RCA jacks (like what is used to hook it up to your home stereo). The downside to all of this is that you are going to spending more money (the adapters run around $100 or more), so it would be cheaper just to use the FM modulator if your sat radio has one built in.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Reply to
Kevin Smith

I took my 05 Silverado to a professional car stereo shop and paid them $50 to do the install. My Sirius radio is a Audiovox PNP2. The guy at the care stereo shop put the sat antenna on the cab roof and ran the coax down through the cab roof brakelight. They also put a nice toggle (looks factory installed) on the dash which allows me to switch from Sirius to regular radio. The Sirius radio uses the speakers that are installed in the truck.

That was a year ago and I haven't listen to regular commercial radio since. If you can afford the money go with a pro install.

Reply to
Jim Becker

Kevin,

I can't speak for Sirius (I have an XM SkyFi2), but with my sat receiver the antenna works just fine sitting on the dash. I know that the instructions for mine stated that you should place the antenna as near as possible to the vehicle's factory FM antenna if you intend on using the FM modulator because the modulator uses the sat antenna to broadcast to the vehicle's stereo and the closer the two are placed the better.

If your Malibu's FM antenna is in the standard right-hand location, then placing the sat receiver antenna on the right side of the dash SHOULD be fine. On my wife's Pontiac Vibe the FM antenna is on the back edge of the roof so I had to run the satellite antenna out the back hatch for the two to be close.

If you have Sirius I can't promise that your antenna will work as well on the dash as on the roof because Sirius' satellites use a weaker signal than XM from a higher orbit and are constantly moving so your antenna MAY need more of a view of the sky that the roof provides to maintain good reception. XM uses more powerful satellites from a stationary equatorial orbit. The only way to find out is to try.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Reply to
pika

My Sirius docking station, for the truck, is just an FM transmitter with remote. Antenna up (under) the A pillar cover and out the top of the door, dock plugged into the powerport. Use the remote for station change use the steering wheel controls for all else. Took about 5 min to hook up. I just have the stock stereo system and notice no sound quality loss from the FM. I imagine if I had a high end system a hardwire hook up would be best.

Reply to
calhoun

Reply to
Kevin Smith