How to Replace 99 Suburban Turn Signal Switch

I've got the classic "turn signal clicks for no reason" problem I've seen mentioned in several other posts in this group. A number of responses seem to indicate the fix to be replacing the turn signal switch assy. How exactly to you go about doing this? I've dropped the lower half of the plastic cover off the steering column. However, based on what my new turn signal assy looks like, it's primarily attached on the upper half of the steering column. The plastic cover over the upper half of the column has a countersunk hole through which the ignition switch is installed. Do I have to remove the ignition switch & steering wheel to replace the turn signal switch? If so, how do I do it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Dan Thompson

Reply to
DangerDan

Can this procedure be done without pulling the sterring wheel? It seems as if the steering wheel shaft cover and the pannel can be removed, but I am not sure; I'm a bit spooked out by messing with the air bag.

As an aside, it seems like Chevy sure scooted out from recalling this part somehow on the Tahoe, but not on the S-10.

If anyone has replaced the multifunction switch (replace the turnsignal switch) on a 1999 Chevy Tahoe, 1999 Chevy Suburban without pulling the steering wheel, could you please let me know how you did it?

Thanks,

Jerry Hattrick:confused:

Reply to
Jerry Hattrick